Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brymstone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:15 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Dreadnought wrote:
Any objection to the idea that the Knight's Capellar might have a presence in Brymstone?

In the few decades since their formation, the Capellars have grown from a small band of poor knights to an extensive and very wealthy organization. They recognize no sovereign and are answerable only to the Pontiff. They loan and exchange money and
have numerous business interests throughout the civilized lands.
([b]Players Guide[/b/]).

It seems reasonable to me that such an organisation might well have some sort of presence in Brymstone (perhaps their foothold into Thuland). The main reason I am asking though is that in doing the map, there's one building on the original map that seems to me to fit as a Capellar chapel.

The Harbingers fixer in Brymstone suspected one of my PCs of being a Capellar operative...so it works for me.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:55 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
I probably said this on the old list, but there were articles on Brymstone using AD&D and Runequest stats in the first and only 2 issues of Red Giant magazine. Some of the content of these articles went up on Dave Morris' blog.

I'll be back in contact with my Red Giant mags in late September and can sift through them if you want? Not sure about the legalities of PDFing them though and posting them here...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
greyarea13 wrote:
I probably said this on the old list, but there were articles on Brymstone using AD&D and Runequest stats in the first and only 2 issues of Red Giant magazine. Some of the content of these articles went up on Dave Morris' blog.

I'll be back in contact with my Red Giant mags in late September and can sift through them if you want? Not sure about the legalities of PDFing them though and posting them here...

Copyright does matter - but generally speaking it is considered 'Fair Use' to share one article from an issue of a periodical. So if it can be limited to that, I'm sure it would be appreciated. People also tend to take a reasonably lenient view when something is out of print, and not readily attainable any other way.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:16 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

greyarea13 wrote:

I believe that is the material CD is working off of....maybe?

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:26 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Damian May wrote:
greyarea13 wrote:

I believe that is the material CD is working off of....maybe?

I'm pretty sure I have everything Brymstoney that was published in Red Giant and on Dave's blog, plus a few other bits and pieces that haven't yet seen the light of day, but I hear the Red Giant magazines were a trove of interesting articles, so I wouldn't mind seeing what else was in there should you be minded to share. As for the legalities, whilst I think it would be technically against the law, it would be one of those cases where it would be impossible to demonstrate any material loss - if anyone complained, we would just remove the content.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:08 am 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Knave
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
I think it would be technically against the law

I would suggest that this is a key phrase in the discussion, and would therefore advise some caution.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to be clear - this forum does have rules and one is as follows:

"No violation of Copyright. Let us be clear - even if material is out of print and unavailable it still subject to Copyright law. Limited quoting of both old and new books is permissible for purposes of review or discussion - wholesale reproduction is not, unless you have the permission of the Copyright holders."

What people are willing to host on their own sites is up to them - but following this rule has been important since the Dragon Warriors discussion list was first started and may be a large part of the reason why at times we were allowed to host out of print material there with permission and might be able to do so here at some point as well. The test isn't whether or not it will get us in trouble, although with increasingly punitive attitudes towards certain things that are seen as piracy in some countries I wouldn't rely on laws not becoming more restrictive over time.

I would love to see the Red Giant material myself, but not here, not unless it can be done legally. As I've said, posting a single article from each issue (I don't know if the Brymstone material is more than an issue) can probably be considered 'fair use'. Or somebody might be able to track down the rights holders and get their permission.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also specifically on the Brymstone material, it sounds to me like CobwebbedDragon does have tacit permission to use it, or he wouldn't have been given it, even if fair use on that material didn't apply.

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:12 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
Also specifically on the Brymstone material, it sounds to me like CobwebbedDragon does have tacit permission to use it, or he wouldn't have been given it, even if fair use on that material didn't apply.

I have written permission from Robert Dale to use his Brymstone stuff and Dave M has sent me some of his stuff for inclusion, too, so whilst the copyright remains their's, there should be no problem with sharing the material for the purposes of putting together a (free) Brymstone supplement.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:17 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

I have written permission from Robert Dale to use his Brymstone stuff and Dave M has sent me some of his stuff for inclusion, too, so whilst the copyright remains their's, there should be no problem with sharing the material for the purposes of putting together a (free) Brymstone supplement.

Cool. I'll keep going with my stuff and repost the gdoc link each time I get a significant number of pages done.

co-author Cold Fury

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next