Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brymstone
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Damian May wrote:
Just pulled up the Brymstone FL post from 2010.....I'm glad you had better luck contacting Robert than I did when I was trying back then....Dave never did get back to me with those contact details.....

It was probably just timing. The Brymstone material is a cornucopia of inspiration that could easily have been fleshed out into something publishable (well, by better writers than me, anyway ;)) and I suspect the plan back then would have been to hold onto it for when SKG were ready to use it. Roll forward five years and maybe that aspiration no longer seemed achievable. I can only speculate, of course, and part of me wonders if it might actually have been my charming (albeit slightly creepy) persistence :?.

Either way, it'll be nice for this material to get into the public domain, even if only as a curiosity enjoyed (and developed?) by the community or as a few evenings' entertaining play through the adventure.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:57 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
my charming (albeit slightly creepy) persistence

:lol:

Nice.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
The big things I need to complete next are:
  1. Convert the new Elementalist spells from the Runequest stats I have into Dragon Warriors format.
  2. Render the floor plan for the First and Last Inn in Campaign Cartographer.
  3. There's a section on "Encounters and Gossip" for which I only have bare bones, so need to do some significant fleshing-out of that (or drop it from the doc).
  4. There's a demon mentioned in the campaign that I plan to create as a Noble Demon to tie it more into how demons are portrayed in In from the Cold and the Players' Guide.
  5. The campaign (currently taking up over a third of the book) generally needs fleshing out with some handouts, NPC characteristics, mood text, location maps, etc.
  6. Create indices and cross-references.
  7. Format the b*gger into something presentable.

Spells have been done (item 1 on the list): 16 exciting new DW elementalist spells (mostly for the element of air, curiously enough), complete with darkness effects and geasa (which, of course, were missing from their original Runequest mechanics). Just as a teaser, this is the list:

Corpse Candles (Fire) - 1
Fimbülwinter (Water) - 2
Key of Annwn (Darkness) - 4
Pwyll’s Chalice (Water) - 4
Read the Leaves (Earth) - 4
Spear of Llwch (Air) - 4
Nuada’s Hand (Air) - 5
Breath of Llyr (Air) - 6
Birds of Rhiannon (Air) - 7
Cast of Features (Earth/Fire) - 7
Balor’s Eye (Darkness) - 8
Chariot of the Morrigan (Air) - 8
Herolight (Fire) - 8
Jack-in-the-Green (Earth) - 8
Howl of Ossar (Air) - 9
Cauldron of Annwn (Water) - 10

Anyone with a collection of old White Dwarf magazines might already be familiar with these spells' effect ;).

I've also fleshed out the Brymstone city key and updated the environs map to include the local forests (curiously missing from my original map). A preview of this map is available on the Cobwebbed Forest. As for the rest of the list, I've started fleshing out the encounters and gossip and demon sections, so hopefully those two sections will start coming together this weekend. And for people interested in such numbers, the supplement stretches to 90 pages, consisting of 29,000 words.

Watch this thread for more updates.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:21 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Any chance you got any work done on the Beltayne map, Mr. Hately?

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Damian May wrote:

It's at the stage that really all that is left to do is add locations and keys. I have the few locations you've already told me about - I could add some more myself if you want me to.

I've also made some progress on the Thousand Islands map, but need to send you an e-mail or message asking about some locations. I'll try to get to that in the next couple of days.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Dreadnought wrote:
Damian May wrote:

It's at the stage that really all that is left to do is add locations and keys. I have the few locations you've already told me about - I could add some more myself if you want me to.

I've also made some progress on the Thousand Islands map, but need to send you an e-mail or message asking about some locations. I'll try to get to that in the next couple of days.

Cool!

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:07 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
The big things I need to complete next are:
  1. Convert the new Elementalist spells from the Runequest stats I have into Dragon Warriors format. DONE
  2. Render the floor plan for the First and Last Inn in Campaign Cartographer.
  3. There's a section on "Encounters and Gossip" for which I only have bare bones, so need to do some significant fleshing-out of that. DONE
  4. There's a demon mentioned in the campaign that I plan to create as a Noble Demon to tie it more into how demons are portrayed in In from the Cold and the Players' Guide.
  5. The campaign (currently taking up over a third of the book) generally needs fleshing out with some handouts, NPC characteristics, mood text, location maps, etc.
  6. Create indices and cross-references.
  7. Format the b*gger into something presentable.

It's been a little while since my last update, but I do keep picking at this - the "Encounters and Gossip" section is now finished, and I'm going to really attack the adventure this weekend and finish the NPC appendix. Not to give too much away, at one point in the campaign the adventurers could end up embroiled in a brawl (when couldn't they?) and Robert has included notes to refer to some (very) old White Dwarf Articles, intending, presumably, to adapt them into some DW brawling mechanics (or narrative? I guess I'll have to dig out the articles to find out - assuming I even have them), so I need to do a bit of research for the next bit.

I'm still aiming to have it out for September-ish time, but I'm not going to make any promises to that effect because I know how quickly time can fly!

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Just checking to make sure, did you want to compile the Beltayne and rest of Thuland info I have into the same doc to have a single Thuland supplement or do you just want to do the Brymstone doc as its own thing? I think the former makes more sense from a player/GM facing point of view but, artistically, you may well want your material to remain seperate from others.

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:07 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Damian May wrote:
Just checking to make sure, did you want to compile the Beltayne and rest of Thuland info I have into the same doc to have a single Thuland supplement or do you just want to do the Brymstone doc as its own thing? I think the former makes more sense from a player/GM facing point of view but, artistically, you may well want your material to remain seperate from others.

Good idea, and if it was entirely my material, I'd say yes, but the Brymstone material is Robert Dale's - I'm embellishing it here and there, and fleshing out some of the rougher notes, but the bulk of the work is Robert's, with some contributions from Dave Morris (almost makes you wonder what's taking me so long...?), so think it should be kept separate. Also, I wouldn't want my own timetable to impact a broader project focusing on Thuland.

It would be nice if the two supplements complemented each other, rather than conflicted, so I'm expecting the first draft of each to need tweaking to mesh with the other, but I'll worry about that once I've got my first draft out!

So much writing to do - professions, campaigns, campaign settings, etc. It's a wonder I get any work done (which reminds me, isn't that what I'm supposed to be doing now...?)

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:48 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

We'll adapt the Thuland ebook around the Brymstone one I think as the Brymstone one has the 'canon' edge with Dave Morris contributing. :)

co-author Cold Fury

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next