Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:18 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Hellbrandt wrote:
Hi Damian,

For some reason I couldn't reply to your message. I'm still working my way through the rules...

I'd like to play a scoundrel of some kind, the sort who never misses an opportunity, but has a good heart - essentially a rogue. I understand with DW that there is no thief/rogue class as such, but an Assassin can be played that way. Does this sound suitable?

I've yet to come up with a backstory, but I'm thinking of an older character who has had to live by his (or her) wits for many years, first as a street urchin, then as a burglar in a criminal gang, caught and spent many years in prison, released to become a guard in a brothel, then set of on a voyage of discovery funded as a con man... and so on. That's all I have for now, I'll need to give it a bit more thought.

Assassin kitted out as a rogue type is fine.
Theres certainly opportunity for that sort of character especially in the Empire of Wagadou ( http://dragonwarriors.wikifoundry.com/page/Wagadou ) and most especially in the capital Koumbi.

Kores character Kuublu is a minor noble from the empire so theres a link back there if needed.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:49 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Thane
Thanks Damian, what's the next step? I know I need to do a bit of reading on the setting and the other characters stories which I'll do over this weekend.

I've also noticed that at the moment my posts have to be checked by admin as I'm a new user, so there is a delay from when I post to when you see it, I guess at some point that will stop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:02 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Hellbrandt wrote:
Thanks Damian, what's the next step? I know I need to do a bit of reading on the setting and the other characters stories which I'll do over this weekend.

I've also noticed that at the moment my posts have to be checked by admin as I'm a new user, so there is a delay from when I post to when you see it, I guess at some point that will stop.

Yeah approval will stop after the next post or the one after that...can't quite recall. :)

Next step.

Roll stats. straight 3d6s, more than one stat under 9 and you can re-roll. :)

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:02 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Ok, I've rolled the dice and put the character together. This is the first DW character I've created, so it may well need changing.

Mthunzi
Profession: Assassin (Rogue)

Strength: 13
Reflexes: 13
Intelligence: 11
Psychic Talent: 10
Looks: 11

Health Points: 11

Attack: 14
Defence: 6
Magical Defence: 3
Evasion: 6
Stealth:18
Perception: 8

Skills
Stealth
Unarmed Combat (d6,3)
Pilfer

Weapons
Ida (Sword) (d8,4)
Sling (d6,3)

Armour
Padded (AF2)

Equipment
Backpack
Rope
Climbing Gear
Hand Lantern
Flint and Tinder

Cash
17 F

Languages
?

Description
Average height and build with greying hair and beard.

Background
Mthunzi's early life is little more than a haze of vague memories: a beautiful smiling face (perhaps his mother), mixed with shouting (a male voice, his father?), pain and fear... and then rejection. He remembers well the struggles as a boy in the city of Koumbi, stealing for food, running for his life, and the comradeship of this first street gang. The streets taught him well, how to take what he needed, how to fight, how to survive.

Membership of a small time criminal gang was a natural progression for the lithe and canny young Mthunzi, and he spent many years robbing and burgling at the behest of the gang leader. For the most part this suited him, and taking from the wealthy, those who had more than they needed was easy. But taking from the poor, those just getting by, did not sit well with him. It was on one such job that he lost his taste for this work and as a result was caught by the local militia, and incarcerated in the Koumbi goal.

Six long years were spent in hardship, each day a struggle for survival amongst the most brutal criminals in the city, and Mthunzi grew from a boy into a man. Upon his release he turned from his criminal ways and sought honest work, finding it as a house guard in a local brothel. For 10 years, Mthunzi put his brawling skills to use, throwing rowdy customers out into the street, but then the brothel was burned to the ground, and so he set to wandering.

Finding country folk to be me far more gullible than the shrewd and untrusting city dwellers Mthunzi travelled the land running con trick after con trick. Where he could he would target the wealthier folk and on occasion his dishonesty was revealed and he had to pack up and leave quickly..

Notes
Mthunzi is based on the Assassin profession, but he is much more of a rogue, not so much of a killer. When I did a background roll it came up with Marijah Assassin which just doesn't fit my idea for him, so I went with the above as I'd set that our briefly earlier on.

I have changed the Assassin starter weapons slighty:
- The staff has been dropped as this seems to be a cumbersome weapon for a thief
- The sword is an Ida, one type of African sword
- A crossbow doesn't fit my idea for Mthunzi, so I changed it to a sling

I have listed Padded Armour, although I don't know if this fits the setting, and I've not picked any languages, I'll need your guidance on that.

The rolls I made are here:

4 rolls to get stats 9 or above!
http://orokos.com/roll/437603
http://orokos.com/roll/437604
http://orokos.com/roll/437605
http://orokos.com/roll/437606

1d6+5 roll for Health Points
http://orokos.com/roll/437607

3d10 roll for starting cash
http://orokos.com/roll/437609

Background roll:
http://orokos.com/roll/437610

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:44 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

I've also read the threads for the other characters, I love how this is shaping up, can't wait to start.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Hellbrandt wrote:
I've also read the threads for the other characters, I love how this is shaping up, can't wait to start.

Characters all good.

I think you should have one more skill from this lot: Breakfall, Climbing,Jump, Disguise, Picklock, Pilfer, and Track....but its early in the morning so I may be mistaken...

Padded armour is fine, AF1 covers a lot of minimalist armour types, gambeson, boiled leather jerkin, quilted robes etc.

Weapon/Background swap is fine.

Make your language/literacy rolls and we'll swap out results for ones that work. Being from the capital your native tongue is Wagandan so you'll be able to speak to everyone. :)

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Damian May wrote:

I think you should have one more skill from this lot: Breakfall, Climbing,Jump, Disguise, Picklock, Pilfer, and Track....but its early in the morning so I may be mistaken...

Padded armour is fine, AF1 covers a lot of minimalist armour types, gambeson, boiled leather jerkin, quilted robes etc.

Make your language/literacy rolls and we'll swap out results for ones that work. Being from the capital your native tongue is Wagandan so you'll be able to speak to everyone. :)

Great! I've picked the Pilfer as my 1st rank skill.

I did put the padded armour as AF2, but it does make more sense if Mthunzi had some kind of leather jerkin at AF1.

My Additional Language roll came up a 5 which is a few words of a second language. I'm thinking a language that none of the other characters have, just to give us a wider spread, I'll take your guidance on that.

Additional languages roll: 1d20 5

I then rolled for literacy which came up a 4. The time when Mthunzi would have been learning languages was spent on the street, so I considered him to be Riffraff which gave him a 2% chance of literacy. Mthunzi never saw the value in learning his letters when words are so easily spoken.

Literacy roll: 1d100 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Hellbrandt wrote:
Damian May wrote:

Great! I've picked the Pilfer as my 1st rank skill.

I did put the padded armour as AF2, but it does make more sense if Mthunzi had some kind of leather jerkin at AF1.

My Additional Language roll came up a 5 which is a few words of a second language. I'm thinking a language that none of the other characters have, just to give us a wider spread, I'll take your guidance on that.

Additional languages roll: 1d20 5

I then rolled for literacy which came up a 4. The time when Mthunzi would have been learning languages was spent on the street, so I considered him to be Riffraff which gave him a 2% chance of literacy. Mthunzi never saw the value in learning his letters when words are so easily spoken.

Literacy roll: 1d100 4

Good thoughts. Additional language is Sondawe. A language group from the SW. Probably learned it from immigrants or children of immigrants.

Ok...looks like your good to go. I'll let you grab another Skill as well seeing as I stole your AF. ;)

I might start you by yourself for the moment....anywhere/thing in particular you want to be doing?

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

I think the Climbing skill would be a good choice and would fit in with his backstory.

As to where to start, I'm thinking in a village that Mthunzi has recently visited... It may be that the village elder has asked him to perform a task, or a victim of one of his scams is out to get him...

I'll update the character sheet this evening after work and post it with those few changes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Cool. I'll probably make the village your in the next port of call for Kuublu and Ammu...they will need to rest up a bit.

co-author Cold Fury

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next