Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: OOC Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:41 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I'm outside....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:42 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Thane
Mthunzi will have returned to the companions to tell them of Ngela's response, so he will be with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:10 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Ak'kulula's job - deceive Malim and his men and get their guard down - is kinda done. So other than discreetly observing the situation and noting details useful for the Company against Malim, I have nothing else for Ak for now.

Over at the forest, perhaps Kubluu and Mthunzi and gang wanna discuss some tactics - deployments, methods of approach, distractions, ambush, tricks and traps, etc?

Nobody wants to set anything on fire?! Dig traps and snares? Multiprong attacks? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:35 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Fire would be unwise. Not sure how much damage to the local economy we'd cause. Maybe set a fire some distance away, get the villagers to set it so taht Malim reduces his guard further. Not sure since we're hoping they'll be drunk and off guard. Maybe some time late in the night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:35 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Here's a new plan. Lets say when we finally get to talk, we thank Malim for his services, seizing the initiative to maintain order, that the great Chieftain was notified and that he should hand over his powers to Kgosi Olmar. A promise of rewards and a request for a promotion for his quick action and maintaining order. Should minimize bloodshed. Kuublu will tell the people around him to be firm but not to be hostile during the confrontation. The villagers may cheer and even celebrate, but should keep their pitchforks nearby....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:56 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Kharille wrote:
Here's a new plan. Lets say when we finally get to talk, we thank Malim for his services, seizing the initiative to maintain order, that the great Chieftain was notified and that he should hand over his powers to Kgosi Olmar. A promise of rewards and a request for a promotion for his quick action and maintaining order. Should minimize bloodshed. Kuublu will tell the people around him to be firm but not to be hostile during the confrontation. The villagers may cheer and even celebrate, but should keep their pitchforks nearby....

Hmmmmmmm....

The idea is interesting. I have a few questions:
1. Malim has no big reason/motivation to "stepping down" as Chieftain. He is Chief right now. Villagers are cowed. His power and influence holds sway. His men are the only force around these parts. So why would he agree to step down and accept a "promotion" instead?

2. Malim has great difficulty "stepping down". Villagers suffered under him and hence won't tolerate him. His men won't tolerate a weak leader/employer. Neither will they accept someone who cannot give them what was probably promised - status in village, money, etc.

3. What's the benefit for Olmar and us to make such a deal? If the reason why Malim may consider this arrangement is the same reason why we are able to present this to Malim ie: we have overwhelming force on our side against him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

The shock of seeing Kgosi Olmar alive might have that effect. We're trying a peaceful way out before bloodshed. Also, how evil is Malim? Probably brainless chaotic neutral. Hes taken the land and made a nuisance of himself but I haven't heard of anyone getting killed yet. He is after all a member of the family by law.

thats why he hands power to Olmar and excuses himself. Mismanagement is not the same thing as invading, vaping and killing. Its an easy way out for everyone and I don't think even mercenaries want to risk occupational hazard.

If we kill Malim, we celebrate a birth as well as a death. Although people don't like him, he should be reformed. I know its not 21st century but we should at least offer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Kharille I see where you are coming from. And I totally agree with you about minimizing bloodshed. I strongly prefer to avoid any killing, especially Malim. And this is something the surprise assault led by Kubluu can facilitate by seeking to subdue by knocking out and tying up rather than kill.

However for the encounter with Malim, imho if things go well, we would have already subdued him and his men with surprise and overwhelming force, so there are no other options open for him but to surrender and submit to Olmar's verdict and judgement, or die fighting.

In this above context, the offer might not make sense for me. What do the others think?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Elementalist
Chiemeka most certainly would like to avoid bloodshed, but in his wide travels has almost certainly come across would-be leaders like Malim, and is resigned to the fact that his healing powers will be called upon!

I guess the question is, how imposing is our party (plus any villagers we can call upon)? Do we think have enough of a presence to intimidate him into giving up without a fight? Without a clear demonstration of our combined abilities, just wandering in as a motley group of nobodies and demanding that he surrenders might get us laughed out of the village!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

drb1004 wrote:
I guess the question is, how imposing is our party (plus any villagers we can call upon)? Do we think have enough of a presence to intimidate him into giving up without a fight? Without a clear demonstration of our combined abilities, just wandering in as a motley group of nobodies and demanding that he surrenders might get us laughed out of the village!

TL:DR - Everything hinges on surprise, our hitting hard from the shadows.

We have:
The Heroes (looking somewhat heroic)
- Prince Kubluu
- Chieftain's Daughter Pulgil
- Seasoned Warrior Mthunzi
- Wiseman Chiemeka
- Wiseman Maverick Ammu
- Ak'kulula

The Allies:
- The Great Chieftain Olmar
- 2x Seasoned Warriors

20 - 40 Villagers, armed with various farming and household implements, with suitably angry expressions.

Against Malim and his force of ~16 professional mercenaries.

If we can subdue the guards and put them away, and then we catch Malim and his remaining men sleeping, some in drunken bliss, then our show of force looks pretty good actually.

If Malim and his men manage to get together some organized defense, then the outcome will be bloody and uncertain. We might prevail and win using our magical powers. But the cost might be high, and we will likely freak out the villagers and perhaps damage Olmar's legitimacy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 105  Next