Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Getting started...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
It is my intention to run a PbP game here in this forum for anybody who is interested.

The rules will be standard Dragon Warriors. Character creation will be based on the rules in the Core Rulebook, and the Players Guide. Cadaver Draconis may be used on a case by case basis based on discussion with the GM (me).

Characters will be humans between the ages of 14 and 19, resident in or very near the city of Ongus (my version of Ongus can be found at http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/ongus.html They will all have a character profession, but in addition to that, will also have some sort of more conventional life - up to a point anyway. For example, a character may be a Knight by training, but also a butcher's apprentice. They may have got their basic military training in the city militia. There are no restrictions as to a characters sex or social class... well, I probably don't want anybody from the Royal Family :)

Initially I would just a show of hands from anybody who is interested in playing. Feel free to also talk about a character you might want to play but I am really looking at numbers.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

Post subject: Re: Getting started...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Me!

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damian May wrote:
Me!

That was fast :)

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
I have never actually played a PbF game before but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

As soon as you mentioned Ongus as the regional locale, I thought of playing a scribe working in the City and Guild Library in the Ward of Gracefields. Highly intelligent and bored by the mundane task of copying manuscripts, Simon often explores the more forbidden recesses of the library and has become a self-taught sorcerer, although has so little confidence in his spellcasting that he rarely ever casts actual spells (except in direst circumstances) preferring instead the acquisition of magical lore above the practical application of it. Highly literate in a number of languages (including some of the less well-known and dead languages), he is otherwise broadly ignorant of the world outside Ongus, and often awkward in his dealings with non-city folk, whose ignorance frustrates him (blissfully ignoring the irony that he is more ignorant of their ways than they are of his). He shares a room in Pincheedle Passage with the taxidermist's apprentice, Rowan - the only other person to know of his proficiency in sorcery - they have been best friends since their shared childhood at the orphanage and he trusts him implicitly. Both of them can regularly be found at the Dandy Lion indulging their sweet-tooth with their meagre wages. Simon thinks that his life will inevitably take him into the Guild of Sages and Scholars, a respectable and comfortable life, albeit boring, and is restless for an opportunity to take a different path.

That was the start of my idea for a character, anyway - I'm sure I can fluff it up a bit to make it fit with whatever you had in mind for your campaign. If you can find a place for me, I'd be up for trying this out.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Oh yeah, love forum games. Bit slow paced but that makes it easy to participate without getting overwhelmed, unless everyone else checks frequently and types fast. Ongus... maybe I'll try something new...

Not sure, maybe try the knave role, haven't seen it being played out much in the forum games I've played. Fast talking guy. Sometimes I figure other skills like procurement and trade would be better than the skills I have seen on the book.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
I have never actually played a PbF game before but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

As soon as you mentioned Ongus as the regional locale, I thought of playing a scribe working in the City and Guild Library in the Ward of Gracefields. Highly intelligent and bored by the mundane task of copying manuscripts, Simon often explores the more forbidden recesses of the library and has become a self-taught sorcerer, although has so little confidence in his spellcasting that he rarely ever casts actual spells (except in direst circumstances) preferring instead the acquisition of magical lore above the practical application of it. Highly literate in a number of languages (including some of the less well-known and dead languages), he is otherwise broadly ignorant of the world outside Ongus, and often awkward in his dealings with non-city folk, whose ignorance frustrates him (blissfully ignoring the irony that he is more ignorant of their ways than they are of his). He shares a room in Pincheedle Passage with the taxidermist's apprentice, Rowan - the only other person to know of his proficiency in sorcery - they have been best friends since their shared childhood at the orphanage and he trusts him implicitly. Both of them can regularly be found at the Dandy Lion indulging their sweet-tooth with their meagre wages. Simon thinks that his life will inevitably take him into the Guild of Sages and Scholars, a respectable and comfortable life, albeit boring, and is restless for an opportunity to take a different path.

That was the start of my idea for a character, anyway - I'm sure I can fluff it up a bit to make it fit with whatever you had in mind for your campaign. If you can find a place for me, I'd be up for trying this out.

This character looks like they would fit in nearly perfectly with what I have in mind. Especially if he was near the younger end of the age scale - 14 or 15.

A couple of notes - in my version of Ongus, orphans cannot easily get properly apprenticed - that's not an insurmountable problem but I would probably have Simon looking for a sponsor to make that happen - and knowing of somebody who probably would sponsor him but only if he revealed his sorcerous abilities, which he might be reluctant to do. I really like the idea of somebody who has managed to teach themselves sorcery... that could stir the pot nicely... Rowan would also need a sponsor and that could be interesting to see Simon assisting that to happen.

(Skilled orphans are not left destitute by any means - there are plenty of people who will take them on as informal apprentices, and an informal apprentice can do quite well in Ongus which needs more trades people and crafts people than the Guilds formally turn out - but they will never be acknowledged as a Master with skills they can easily take elsewhere unless they get their formal papers - so most with any real skills want to find a way. In practice, it oftens tends to be the difference between becoming a Master in your early 20s when you have completed a formal apprenticeship, and only becoming one in your late 20s after completing your training around 20, and then working for somebody else and saving every penny in order to buy your papers off the Guild at a high premium - it's not quite a bribe because it's been happening so long that it's now hallowed by tradition but it certainly was a few decades ago).

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Emily Smickett or Smicks lives in the roof space of a truly terrible tenement on Knuckle Lane in Byway.When she's not begging on the steps of the Sacred Mother of Peace she's lifting small items from folks on the surrounding streets. She has ferreted out a number of basements and located two tunnel entrances though she has not yet ventured down any and they may well prove to be nothing.

One Thumb Charlie has taken her under his wing to work as a second-storeyman and they work well together though the old bugger has noted she's started to mature and it may well be necessary soon to put a blade through his grabby hands. Her mother is dead and the man calling himself her father was last seen when she was three though she looks nothing like he did. She lives with her older sister who works as a spinster in the neighbouring ward.

Twelve years of age with jet black hair and flashing green eyes, she is quite short and her darker skin tone and features indicate that perhaps her father was from much further away than Crggen Varis like she was told.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damian May wrote:
Emily Smickett or Smicks lives in the roof space of a truly terrible tenement on Knuckle Lane in Byway.When she's not begging on the steps of the Sacred Mother of Peace she's lifting small items from folks on the surrounding streets. She has ferreted out a number of basements and located two tunnel entrances though she has not yet ventured down any and they may well prove to be nothing.

One Thumb Charlie has taken her under his wing to work as a second-storeyman and they work well together though the old bugger has noted she's started to mature and it may well be necessary soon to put a blade through his grabby hands. Her mother is dead and the man calling himself her father was last seen when she was three though she looks nothing like he did. She lives with her older sister who works as a spinster in the neighbouring ward.

Twelve years of age with jet black hair and flashing green eyes, she is quite short and her darker skin tone and features indicate that perhaps her father was from much further away than Crggen Varis like she was told.

Yes, can definitely see this working well too :)

Shaun Hately

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I've never played PbF but am interested :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Acoma wrote:
I've never played PbF but am interested :)

Excellent!

Any idea of the type of character you'd like to play? :)

Shaun Hately

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next