Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:45 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
You know, we get these great stats for stuff like the Malgash and the Dragon. But seriously, killing these massive siege engine beasts shouldn't be so easy. Should take several adventures just to deal with the hag or hob goblin ... eh, book 4 goblin problem. I think taking out a smart warband of orcs will be difficult if they are played right.

Have you ever kept special npc characters around for a long time? Should make intelligent enemies last a long time. I had this idea of an evil orc captain whose head would be grafted onto a giant spider and would confront the player characters again.

Just thoughts. Surely a vampire or malgash shouldn't be taken out along with the grunts?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
Completely agreed.

I think the big bad villain being defeated easily, in my case anyway, often comes from lack of preparation.

Lately I've taken to writing down notes about main strategy (spells, fighting, formation, etc) and backup strategy, and finally escape strategy.

So right now my group has a couple of villains they have "defeated" but aren't gone or dead, and I'm priming them for a comeback hehhee

One part of strategy of course is attrition -- PCs should rarely meet the villain head on, but only after their resources have been already depleted heavily through fighting their minions/allies, so the villain/monster is more than a match for the group. Kindof what it says in the Malgash description.

ADd to that actual storytelling to make them seem atmospheric/menacing, and they're already a lot more special.

Make them escape, and come back later to harass/haunt the PCs, makes them even better!

The book 4 goblin den is quite a good example of this (the PCs have mercifully spared one of the goblins, so there is going to be some nice come-around for that too hehe). I love villains who have brains and intelligence and planning, it's too easy to just see the bunch of stats and have the PCs overcome it with their own planning/overwhelming numbers..

Narmox.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:39 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Must be some kind of weak spot for Malgashes. I'd suppose they might have a bunch of Hellions and orcs to serve them. Would be awkward to have a major enemy intelligence wasted by a FIRESTORM spell. Sorts of makes it feel hollow and empty.

Gandal was supposed to fight one for a long time.

What if the players had to fight one in some kind of underwurlde where they get a selective advantage from the area? Maybe in an ancient tomb or massive barrow where the undead can be persuaded to join their side. Even dead humans should be loyal to the living against unnatural forces from other worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:54 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
Kharille wrote:
Must be some kind of weak spot for Malgashes. I'd suppose they might have a bunch of Hellions and orcs to serve them. Would be awkward to have a major enemy intelligence wasted by a FIRESTORM spell. Sorts of makes it feel hollow and empty.

Can a mortal TRULY kill a Malgash?

What if the "hollow and empty" "victory" was followed by a sense of intense dread, when the characters/players realize that ___________________ (fill in with your imagination)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

....evidence of human massacres by unnatural demonic forces, wounds not inflicted by man but by a horde of creatures from other realms...

...They realize their work is not finished...

Love the way Blue Moon stalks you in book 2. Creeps you out if you keep running away rather than confronting the stalker....