A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Revised Weapon Stats
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:24 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
I've been working on trying to balance, differentiate, and add to the weapons in the DW main book. What do you folks think of the following approach?

Dagger (1d6, 3) *
Short Sword (1d6, 4)
Sword (1d8, 4)
Two-handed Sword (1d10, 5) **

Hand Axe (1d4, 4) *
Battle Axe (1d6, 5)
Great Axe (1d8, 6) **

Cudgel (1d4, 3)
Staff (1d6, 3) **

Mace (1d6+1, 4)
Morning Star (1d8, 5)
Maul (1d8+1, 5) **

Spear (1d6, 3) ***
Halberd (1d8, 4) ** ***

Warhammer (1d10, 3)

* These weapons can be thrown
** These weapons require two hands to use
*** These weapons can be used to attack from the second rank

One other consideration that I figured for is how many characters making their way down a typical 10' (3m) wide corridor could fight beside each other for each type of weapon. Characters using daggers, short swords, hand axes, and spears could fight 3 abreast. Two-handed swords, great axes, morning stars, and mauls would require users to fight solo. The remainder would allow for 2 characters to fight adjacent to each other.

Post subject: Re: Revised Weapon Stats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:44 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Seems ok but I recall someone else had ideas about increasing the penetration of maces. I think a simple swap of d8,4 for maces and d6,5 for swords might work. However I guess most people would prefer to wield swords so maybe the rules as they are should work.

I really believe slingshot should be d6,3 and that slung rocks will have the same s/m/l but with d3,2. Or maybe we should create variations for lead shot d6,3, clay shots d4,3 and rocks d3,2. If people don't agree... maybe some variation on the range for the three types of ammo.

Also I think shields should give +2 DEFENCE rather than the very random one in six chance. Also I would give 'arrow cutting' to people with shields, if they do nothing else they might be able to block arrows.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:22 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
When I played vanilla DW, I always swapped around the stats for sword/morning star and two-handed sword/battle axe, giving armour penetration preference to the weapons that were actually designed to defeat armour.

Most recently I moved to a single die roll mechanic (Die Roll - AF = Wound), with armour defeating weapons simply halving the opponents AF for the purposes of calculating damage.

For example, compare sword vs mace, two basic weapons often used by knights.

Sword - d8
Mace - d6, armour halved vs this weapon (rounding up).

Against a lightly armoured foe, the sword is superior. Peasants and low ranked soldiers beware!
Against a heavily armoured foe (mail & plate), the mace does better overall damage.

Sword vs Ringmail (AF3) does between 1-5 damage, 62.5% of the time.
Mace vs Ringmail (adjusted AF2) does between 1-4 damage, 66% of the time.
Very little in it - the sword does higher maximum damage, the mace is a little more consistent. The sword has the edge though (baddum-tish!)

Sword vs Mail (AF4) does between 1-4 damage, 50% of the time.
Mace vs Mail (adjusted AF2) does between 1-4 damage, 66% of the time.
The mace is superior here, with a greater chance of penetrating armour.

Sword vs Plate (AF5) does between 1-3 damage, 37.5% of the time.
Mace vs Plate (adjusted AF3) also does 1-3 damage, but 50% of the time.
As with mail, the mace outperforms the sword.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:22 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Mystic
Another consideration is the effect of receiving a blow from a crushing weapon when wearing armour. You may not suffer a large physical i jury but could cerainly be stunned or knocked off your feet for a comat round. I remember watching a show on medieval fighting techniques which was very informative (I can't remeber the name of the show but I think it was developed for the History channel).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I remember reading a forensic science book and it commented that slashes were very damaging, severs blood vessels and nerves. One serves to reduce his ability to fight and the other renders limbs and extremities useless. Maybe that's why those dn'd clerics prefer blunt weapons. Perhaps we should alter it so that they do damage in the region of 3 to 4 and have those d8, d10 armour bypass. Whereas for swords they would do more damage, 4-6 but have much lower armour penetration.

I'm sure weapon skills could be incorporated to make swords effective. I think I recall watching a samurai kendo vid about how you targeted wrists and unarmoured parts of your opponents anatomy.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640