Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Thane
So I want to apologize if this is a fairly basic question, but I haven't seen it answered anywhere - I have noticed that there are references to the "Magnum Opus Press" versions of the newly reprinted books from 2008-2010, however when I look at what is available on eBay, Amazon, and other online sites, it appears the publisher of these books is Mongoose Publishing. Are these the same books?

While I currently have the PDF versions, I intend to invest in the printed versions and I want to make sure to purchase the "best" versions available. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:08 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
I'm waiting on a hard copy of the main book ordered through RPGNow to arrive, but I'd guess that it will be similar to the many books I've ordered through them previously. If that turns out to be the case, I'd think that the Mongoose version is a superior book from a physical standpoint. I think the fit and feel of my old DW book is simply superb, and definitely a cut above what I've seen from print-on-demand services.

Of course, the older version doesn't include the errata, but there's nothing so major in the errata that I view that as a real problem.

I'll give further impressions when I have the two side by side. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:36 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
The original reprints of the DW books were published by Flaming Cobra, a subsidiary of Mongoose Publishing. However, they were just the publishers - the DW licence was owned by Magnum Opus Press at the time, so if you see Magnum Opus/Mongoose Publishing/Flaming Cobra, these are effectively the same edition (although there are multiple printings of some of the books, which may or may not include errata and/or be of greater or lesser quality than the initial print run - as a die-hard fan, I tended to purchase editions as soon as they came out, so can only comment on first printings).

I haven't actually bought a physical DW supplement since Magnum Opus lost the licence, so can't compare print quality between the two licence-holders' editions, but I can tell you that, in the UK at least, the Magnum Opus edition of Sleeping Gods suffered from some quality issues (to the point that some of the maps were illegible - if I hadn't had the original series of books, I would never have been able to produce these: http://cobwebbedforest.co.uk/library/ma ... s=sleeping, which you might find useful if you end up with one of these editions).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Mystic
Just a quick update: my copy of the DW main book purchased through RPGNow arrived about a week ago and I'm quite happy with it. The print is crisp and clear, as is the art work. While I do think my Magnum Opus version has a nicer feel to it, probably due to better paper and binding, I honestly have no complaints about this new print, at least not yet.

Since receiving the new hard cover, I've shelved my old one to save it from wear and tear. If this new one doesn't hold up, I'll certainly let you know.