Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:39 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Just want to start this off. Might be in a mood to make some real contribution later. But I think in general we want something slightly more complex than blood sword rules but not so that it impedes gameplay. I really believe that Barbarians can be expanded to include skills in their native terrain which is a big feature, and a big reason why primitives with inferior hardware historically could stand up against better equipped and better trained soldiers. I mean, the Selentine didn't want to invade Kurland, and that is probably due to a number of factors but one of which is fighting natives in their home terrain.

As much as a Mungodan should do well fighting in his native jungle... resistant to weather effects, exposure to sun and disease I think natives in the other environments should have their advantages.

I might include some of the warhammer 40k terrain concepts, like soft cover which distorts the target but offers no protection to hard cover which actually deflects missiles. We have some basic rules about falling but I think its possible to take it a little further.

Based on what we come up with, the sapper profession can be further refined....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:55 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Terrain rules would, I suppose, cover the way in which terrain affected three separate things:

1: Cover (in the sense of protection)
2: Concealment
2: Movement

If the rules could be kept simple (golden rule: does it make the game more enjoyable more than it makes it a hassle?) it would be worthwhile I think.

You could incorporate environmental effects into the above too, such as rain and snow.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:43 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

I'm thinking about that wiki entry, battle in the thuringian forest which I believe involved a legion being ambushed in a forest. Those Kurland barbarians sure were good at hitting Selentine legionaries. We ought to improve the STEALTH and PERCEPTION for Kurland barbarians in temperate forests, mungodians in jungles, Thulanders in the northern elleslandic highlands... There might not be much cover, but at least they would know their environment.

Yeah, meterological effects... Its all very clean to be indoors all the time but that can sure make a big difference to archery rules.

I think I mentioned it in another thread, but solid cover should just reduce the 'size' of the target. Fog, mist, vegetation might obscure the target, equivalent to a firing in dark conditions, but a separate independent factor....

And I think firing from a moving platform should be another 'moving target' factor that is applied separately.

I'm reading about other examples of altering terrain. Like Japan in the ... Sengoku period where cavalry charges were directed by creating physical obstacles.

But yeah, simplicity is the key. If it involves too much calculation, you'd be better off playing mount & blade warband....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but solid cover should just reduce the 'size' of the target. Fog, mist, vegetation might obscure the target, equivalent to a firing in dark conditions, but a separate independent factor....

Maybe, but what if the weapon is strong enough to penetrate the cover? How do you know if it would still have hit the target and how much damage will it do once it gets through? And what about magical attacks that could wash over the entire area?

I would suggest giving cover an AF and some HP. For timber, AF is 1 and 1 HP per centimetre of thickness. For stone make this three and for steel 10. If your favourite Assassin is cowering behind a 3cm thick oak door and somebody fires a ballista (2d8, 10) at him that door will knock off 3 points of damage and when the AB roll is made our assassin gets to add 3 points to his AF to see if the huge arrow is stopped altogether.

Consider the firestorm (Luke 12:27). Arnohld the 5th rank barbarian is hiding behind a thin stone wall (2cm) which is covering 75% of his body when the evil sorcerer Cohaagen lobs the famous level 9 spell at him. The damage rolled is 22, 75% of which goes to the wall (16 points) and the rest (6) goes straight to Arnohld. Of the 16 points that went to the wall, 6 points is aborbed before a hole is blasted through (the wall's AF is not effective against Firestorm), meaning our hairy friend takes the balance (10). Overall, Arnold takes 16 points of damage, which he can survive, rather than 22, which he can't. Also we have a wonderfully descriptive gaming experience where our badly charred friend is now squatting by a glowing pile of rubble which used to be a section of wall.

For soft concealment, you could approach it from the "invisible sorcerer" angle, and apply a modifier of between 1 and 7 for slight to total cover.

Other thoughts to follow maybe...

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:41 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Well, I did discuss before in yahoogroups, a shield or cover should improve on EVASION for the purpose of the roll. Shields being movable cover. Someone chucks a Javelin at you, I'd say you'd have maybe a bonus of +2 EVASION since you don't need to run so far to avoid it.

And maybe shields should allow you to have a default arrow cutting skill. You know where its coming from. Why not pit your DEFENCE against their ATTACK. Should work against bows and crossbows, you don't follow the arrow in flight, you just have a good idea of the trajectory, that's assuming its not some homing missile like some magic +3 arrow....

I'd say generalize the cover. Hard cover makes you a smaller target. I think a GM could figure out what is solid. Ok, so if someone uses a piece of cardboard for cover... you might rule that it might go through it but it would go a long way to deflecting the shot.

There is a youtube about Japanese silk cloaks that billow out. 15th century stuff but it was sufficient to deflect a lot of arrows, can't remember the name of it but the documentary proved it worked very well.

I think a small expansion of the archery rules will help, and when that is done I might get round to putting the book 1 equivalent archer class together... it should be so easy....

Oh, just read your entry about firestorm. Palladium had a great system about SDC scores for objects. This sounds similar....