Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
I'm currently running an urban mystery/occult campaign set in Ferromaine over on rpg.net.

And my Glissom and Fury of the Deep campaigns are still going on rpol.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:30 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Knight
My Hudristania campaign in rpol that I'm trying to get going again. Players wanted!

I'm also running a real simple game with my wife and almost 7 year old son. We are currently playing king under the forest and we play a couple of nights a week.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
I last ran some playtesting adventures (my expanded King Under the Forest and Shadow on the Mist adventures, and a third adventure I knocked together in 2 hours, which was far too D&D in feel, of which I am far too ashamed to share...). The Shadows on the Mist ended up in a TPK when the players misjudged their place in the social hierarchy - but they were only transitional characters for the purposes of playtesting so I don't feel too bad about it :twisted:.

I'm currently now putting together a longer campaign of about a dozen linked adventures, with a few shorter episodes not related to the main story, to see how my professions hold up as they advance through the ranks. My aim is to be ready to start running it with my group after Christmas.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damian May wrote:
I'm currently running an urban mystery/occult campaign set in Ferromaine over on rpg.net.

Besides my online game (set in the area around Breylak) I have most recently been running a campaign set in Ongus revolving around the beginning of an adventuring career for 15 and 16 year old apprentices who are increasingly finding themselves working for 'Her Majesty's Intelligence Service' (the Queen runs it, primarily to protect her reasonably ineffectual husband).

I am also running through the canonical adventures for a group that meets about once a month - we are currently in Darien's castle in the Elven Crystals.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Dreadnought wrote:
I am also running through the canonical adventures for a group that meets about once a month - we are currently in Darien's castle in the Elven Crystals.

How did they get that far?

In the first adventure alone, there are an insane number of critters the small group of 1st rank PCs might have to fight: harpies, a witch, black riders, thorn demons, killer bees, swamp folk, a gargoyle, air elemental, elves, a bestial forester, spectre, venomous snake, a mummy, tarantula, hydra, ghouls, death's head, wolves, and a hobgoblin. And that's without factoring in random encounters. And whilst the PCs probably won't encounter all of them (they'll be dead long before they get to the end of that list...), they don't even have the luxury of resting to recover HP/MP due to the time constraints around Clothilda's transformation. I've never been brave enough to inflict the Elven Crystals on anyone, but if I was, I'd probably wait for the characters to achieve 6th rank before starting it...

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:

In the first adventure alone, there are an insane number of critters the small group of 1st rank PCs might have to fight: harpies, a witch, black riders, thorn demons, killer bees, swamp folk, a gargoyle, air elemental, elves, a bestial forester, spectre, venomous snake, a mummy, tarantula, hydra, ghouls, death's head, wolves, and a hobgoblin. And that's without factoring in random encounters. And whilst the PCs probably won't encounter all of them (they'll be dead long before they get to the end of that list...), they don't even have the luxury of resting to recover HP/MP due to the time constraints around Clothilda's transformation. I've never been brave enough to inflict the Elven Crystals on anyone, but if I was, I'd probably wait for the characters to achieve 6th rank before starting it...

I don't run the adventures exactly as written for that particular group - in particular, I cut combat back a lot. That's basically because it's a pretty casual group. It started out in a Sci Fi bookshop with people dropping in and out a lot and some of the people playing are pretty casual. I would not run this way for my regular Tuesday night group but it's a very different dynamic.

https://life-and-death-are-only-a-dice-roll-away.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log is their log (typed by one of the players as she plays - spelling mistakes, names misunderstood etc).

The biggest issue in that group is that one of the characters is basically a serial killer at this point and when the others figure this out (and they will) I think they are going to kill her.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:48 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

I've sent 1st ranks successfully through EC before, they just need to be players who use their brains a bit and don't go around starting fights they don't need to and running like hell and not investigating random buildings when they're supposed to be looking for a kidnapper.....doesn't stop them from marking things on a map and coming back later...which they did with middling results.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Damian May wrote:
I've sent 1st ranks successfully through EC before, they just need to be players who use their brains a bit and don't go around starting fights they don't need to and running like hell and not investigating random buildings when they're supposed to be looking for a kidnapper.....doesn't stop them from marking things on a map and coming back later...which they did with middling results.

That's very impressive. Although I am now curious as to the route they took and how they dealt with the moral dilemmas (for example, leaving the old woman to be torn apart by ghouls). Presumably, they still had plenty of luck on their side (if not with their random encounter rolls, at least in deciding to head to section 13 instead of 3 after seeing through the hollow tree illusion?)

The only way I could see that you could reliably survive this chapter of the adventure is to take a boat down the river to location (22) and hope that first rank adventurers could defeat a pack of six wolves (only RE1 each, so reasonable) and have enough left over to kill Ned. I suspect Ned would take at least one of the PCs with him, too (possibly more...) - between the Glissade and his web, the PCs will find it difficult to marshal themselves against him, and even when they do, his Chill ability will injure those that get close. Even his Bats ability could inflict serious injury on an unarmoured sorcerer or elementalist.

How has it gone for other people?

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:56 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Damian May wrote:

That's very impressive. Although I am now curious as to the route they took and how they dealt with the moral dilemmas (for example, leaving the old woman to be torn apart by ghouls). Presumably, they still had plenty of luck on their side (if not with their random encounter rolls, at least in deciding to head to section 13 instead of 3 after seeing through the hollow tree illusion?)

The only way I could see that you could reliably survive this chapter of the adventure is to take a boat down the river to location (22) and hope that first rank adventurers could defeat a pack of six wolves (only RE1 each, so reasonable) and have enough left over to kill Ned. I suspect Ned would take at least one of the PCs with him, too (possibly more...) - between the Glissade and his web, the PCs will find it difficult to marshal themselves against him, and even when they do, his Chill ability will injure those that get close. Even his Bats ability could inflict serious injury on an unarmoured sorcerer or elementalist.

How has it gone for other people?

It was the first campaign I ever ran back when I was 15. The party made it all the way but there were a couple of deaths along the way. I was also a very kind gm. It was everyone's first time so I was gentle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:53 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I haven't run a DW adventure since 2009 (where does the time go!). It was The Darkness Before Dawn. Result was TPK at the very end, as the players tried to defeat Queen Fhionn in straight combat.

I've played plenty of GURPS since then (as a player), but I'd love to get back to DW as a GM...

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:

As much as I regard EC as the Ringo of the DW Beatles, and haven't played it since 1986, it has one advantage for new players; you start out puny and really feel the level boosts as you work your way through the game. That is one of the most enjoyable things about RPGs, and I think one of the mechanical aspects that hooked us all as young gamers.

I also think it's fairly perfect for 14 year-old boys because they don't give two hoots about moral dilemmas and the complexities of mediaeval society, but do love the kind of cheesy, hypercolour action that Napoleon Dynamite would regard as cool.

Cheers,

-Kyle