Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:07 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
WodenKrait wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps hide an Astral Gate (that opens into thin air over a cliff) behind an illusion of a corridor? LOL!

I love this idea of using spells in combination to obtain a result not possible with a single spell. I can't think of any others offhand though. Anybody?

I suggested earlier to:
- Create a mud-monster type Phantasm that can hide and blend in on floor or ceiling, and can (with a successful hit roll) grapple the victim and render him immobile.
- Upon victim being successfully grappled as above, followup with a Fossilize on the Phantasm to "lock" the victim in place indefinitely without turning her into stone.

The same can be done for Reanimate the Dead and Animate the Dead. Once the minions make a successful attack, they don't do damage but grapple or hold the victim(s) in place. And the Sorcerer just casts Fossilize on the minion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:57 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
good idea this topic. By the way, I wish everybody some Happy Holidays, ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:08 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

howareyou wrote:
I agree that the consequence should not be interpreted so lightly. But the new rulebook says "...A Sorcerer must take three Combat Rounds to visualize his intended destination before casting astral gate. Unless he takes this precaution, there is a 60% chance that the far end of the Gate will emerge onto another plane of reality, and any character passing through will then be lost forever..." So there is a 60% chance that can be taken if the Sorcerer is certain to be dead the next combat round... :lol:

Yeah, you either end up exactly where you want to go or go into hyperspace. Also not visualising is no worse than as visualising for two rounds.

Maybe something like this would be more fun:

Roll d100 and add number of rounds visualising destination X 35

result:
0-85: The Gate opens on another plane of reality
86-90: The Gate opens elsewhere in this plane of reality but somewhere else in the universe
91-100: The Gate opens at a random point on the surface of Legend.
100 or more: The Gate opens as planned at your desired destination

howareyou wrote:
But Fossilize targets only 1 victim, while Transfix gets up to 8. I think I will choose Transfix most often.

Yeah but as soon as you try to kill them they wake up! Maybe you can fool the spell by tying a great big rope around all of the transfixed people's necks (all friendly like, no harm there right?), attach the other end to a huge boulder, then push the boulder over a cliff. The victims will immediately wake up but it will be too late.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

howareyou wrote:
- Create a mud-monster type Phantasm that can hide and blend in on floor or ceiling, and can (with a successful hit roll) grapple the victim and render him immobile.
- Upon victim being successfully grappled as above, followup with a Fossilize on the Phantasm to "lock" the victim in place indefinitely without turning her into stone.

The same can be done for Reanimate the Dead and Animate the Dead. Once the minions make a successful attack, they don't do damage but grapple or hold the victim(s) in place. And the Sorcerer just casts Fossilize on the minion.

The first example isn't using any second spell, but the others are good. It seems fossilize is a pretty versatile spell.

Short of sling stones? Fossilize a hamster! Need a barricade? Fossilize an ox!

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:15 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

hermes421 wrote:
good idea this topic. By the way, I wish everybody some Happy Holidays, ;)

Bonnes vacances!

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:17 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Blessed New Year everyone!

Actually I think Phantasm is a pretty versatile spell. It's like you can (potentially, if allowed by GM) create almost anything you want...:D

One more idea...create a fake Doppleganger effect with Phantasm and Illusion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

It occurs to me that Shadowbolt is a good spell to use as a stealthy snipe attack in the dark. There's nothing in the description to indicate that it makes any sound and it does more than enough damage to instakill unranked characters in one hit and creeping within 20m is achievable at night even for a mere sorcerer.

Mystic spells seem to be pretty general purpose, so I think it is hard to describe "creative" uses for a lot of them (although many of them could make the user a great travelling show performer, holy guru, or fortuneteller). One exception though:

Duel: this could be a handy way to escape from a hazardous situation. Go into duel with a mook, incapacitate them, and then wait until things cool down before finishing them off.

Elementalist spells:
Abundance: The fruit can be anything the elementalist chooses, so depending on how liberal the GM allows "fruit" to be (and the mediaeval definition could be almost anything that grows on a plant) if he can grow pepper, saffron, or anything else that is very valuable and turns a tidy profit.

Create Bog: The spell doesn't specify what kind of ground can be changed to mud. If you can turn stone to mud this would be a great way to accelerate construction of roads and other structures when you need to clear stone in rocky terrain.

In an arid desert you could convert the dry ground to mud then collect the mud and strain out the water through cheesecloth or the like to drink.

Rock Wall can be used to lift heavy objects (like carts etc). Place a small stone under the object and cast the spell. Most elementalists should conservatively be able to lift a stone of 27.5kg, and if it is granite it will have a volume of 10,000 cubic centimetres. If this is a tall rock (three times higher than it is wide at the base) and tapered a little for stability, it will be about 40cm high. Once the spell is cast this becomes 4 metres high.

Also, the enlarged rock will gain enormous mass (the above example ends up being about 21 tonnes) which could be useful for collapsing roofs, bridges etc.

Fissure: an invaluable spell for mining, construction etc.

Give up the dead: very useful for grave robbers. Rather than take the time and effort to dig up cemeteries looking for funereal artefacts, get the corpses to bring them to you!

Tremor: Once again, great for building works. Demolition a speciality.

False Rumours: use this in theatrical productions to produce dramatic sound effects.

Summon the host of the air: bring the birds down to you so you can catch and eat them. Or capture rare birds for sale at market.

Icewall: The height of the icewall is not given but if it is just 2 metres (it could scarcely be less and still do what it is described to do) that gives 20 cubic metres (20 tons) of frozen water. Useful for putting in drinks, keeping fish and other meats cold for market, or simply as a source of water.

Blizzard: useful for bringing in water or cooling a hot environment quickly.

Freeze: Similar to the other ice spells, only less so.

Sheet of Flame: cast this nearby when trying to survive in a frozen wasteland. Make sure to use it out of doors so your oxygen isn't used up of course.

TBA: Warlocks!

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

WodenKrait wrote:
Mystic spells seem to be pretty general purpose, so I think it is hard to describe "creative" uses for a lot of them (although many of them could make the user a great travelling show performer, holy guru, or fortuneteller). One exception though:

Duel: this could be a handy way to escape from a hazardous situation. Go into duel with a mook, incapacitate them, and then wait until things cool down before finishing them off.

Could this conceivably be terminated by a Dispel Magic? Hilarious idea...I was actually thinking more of the Mystic carrying a small snail on his person and casting Duel between him and the snail to get out of some tight spots. :D

WodenKrait wrote:
Elementalist spells:
Abundance: The fruit can be anything the elementalist chooses, so depending on how liberal the GM allows "fruit" to be (and the mediaeval definition could be almost anything that grows on a plant) if he can grow pepper, saffron, or anything else that is very valuable and turns a tidy profit.

Create Bog: The spell doesn't specify what kind of ground can be changed to mud. If you can turn stone to mud this would be a great way to accelerate construction of roads and other structures when you need to clear stone in rocky terrain.

In an arid desert you could convert the dry ground to mud then collect the mud and strain out the water through cheesecloth or the like to drink.

Rock Wall can be used to lift heavy objects (like carts etc). Place a small stone under the object and cast the spell. Most elementalists should conservatively be able to lift a stone of 27.5kg, and if it is granite it will have a volume of 10,000 cubic centimetres. If this is a tall rock (three times higher than it is wide at the base) and tapered a little for stability, it will be about 40cm high. Once the spell is cast this becomes 4 metres high.

Also, the enlarged rock will gain enormous mass (the above example ends up being about 21 tonnes) which could be useful for collapsing roofs, bridges etc.

Fissure: an invaluable spell for mining, construction etc.

Give up the dead: very useful for grave robbers. Rather than take the time and effort to dig up cemeteries looking for funereal artefacts, get the corpses to bring them to you!

Tremor: Once again, great for building works. Demolition a speciality.

False Rumours: use this in theatrical productions to produce dramatic sound effects.

Icewall: The height of the icewall is not given but if it is just 2 metres (it could scarcely be less and still do what it is described to do) that gives 20 cubic metres (20 tons) of frozen water. Useful for putting in drinks, keeping fish and other meats cold for market, or simply as a source of water.

Blizzard: useful for bringing in water or cooling a hot environment quickly.

Freeze: Similar to the other ice spells, only less so.

Sheet of Flame: cast this nearby when trying to survive in a frozen wasteland. Make sure to use it out of doors so your oxygen isn't used up of course.

Hahahah...all these ideas are valid I think. Just that it is so hilarious for a wielder of such power to use her abilities for such ordinary everyday conveniences!

WodenKrait wrote:
Summon the host of the air: bring the birds down to you so you can catch and eat them. Or capture rare birds for sale at market.

HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAH!!!!!! Wow...this has got to be the best idea man! Can't believe I have tears running down my face now!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Warlocks:

Hellfire: When short of flint, catch a live rabbit or even just a large spider, place it carefully in a bed of tinder, and cast Hellfire. Your campfire will be blazing in no time.

Vaporise: The Warlock could flow into a vessel (such as a clay pot) then have it shot from a trebuchet across enemy lines, over a wall etc as a way of quickly traversing these distances. The vessel would need to break on arrival or have small holes the Warlock could escape from of course, as it would not do to be trapped inside when the spell expires.

Annihilate: Want to make sure the authorities never find the mortal remains of that informant or other troublesome NPC you've captured? Annihilate them!

Demon Path: This may be a normal rather than creative use (I think the spell description is open to interpretation) but the demon path could be in the form of a staircase or even ladder, allowing the Warlock to climb great heights. If you can walk 200 metres on a level surface in 2 minutes you should be able to ascend 100 on a 45-degree staircase in that time (more than enough to reach the top of the highest castle wall or tower). No I won't show how I arrived at that figure ;-)

Also, any spell with a fixed duration (e.g. Demon Path, Moonglow, Oracle, Divination, Scry, Transformation, Pursuit, Mind Cloak etc) can be used as a perfect timer. In a world short of accurate timepieces, casting (for example) Demon Path and then waiting for it to expire would let you know exactly how long two minutes is.

I also have more creative uses of Rock Wall which I hope to share soon...

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
The warlock spell 'Silent Warrior' is a great utility spell for a single MP - while most might see it as a cheap 'single attack' offensive spell, they forget that the warrior can perform any action that takes a single round, and has a range of 5m. Door barred from the other side? Silent Warrior. Trap that needs triggering safely? Silent Warrior. Arrow sponge to lead your charge on enemy defenders? Yep, he's your man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next