A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Character death and rank
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Warlock
I am running a homebrew campaign, and i am trying to make it a realistic and dangerous world where people have to take care if they want to survive.
No PCs have died yet, but when they do what should i do when rolling a new character.
Levels not making a big difference in DW, i could just make them roll a new lvl 1 character, though i think the player will be dissapionted by having all progress reset.
I could make them start as some equally experienced adventurers, but that kinda takes away the loss of death.

I though about making a catch up mechanic, making xp gain 50% higher for adventurers adventuring with others of at least two ranks over them. Kinda watch and learn.

What are your ideas? How do you handle character death.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Doesn't have to die. Getting dismembered or developing severe mental issues can be fun to roleplay. Wodan bought stuff by exchanging his own eye. Maybe they can head to a big city where they can get a sorceror to help them regenerate in exchange for all the magic and shiny stuff they managed to carry. That'll be a coin reset.

There is a resurrection spell right?

I think theres also potions that can help. Maybe someone like Murkyn can boil one up. Can't remember if it was called Elixir Vitae or whatnot. Even better, reincarnate them as a flying head....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:34 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Warlock
Kharille wrote:
Doesn't have to die. Getting dismembered or developing severe mental issues can be fun to roleplay. Wodan bought stuff by exchanging his own eye. Maybe they can head to a big city where they can get a sorceror to help them regenerate in exchange for all the magic and shiny stuff they managed to carry. That'll be a coin reset.

There is a resurrection spell right?

I think theres also potions that can help. Maybe someone like Murkyn can boil one up. Can't remember if it was called Elixir Vitae or whatnot. Even better, reincarnate them as a flying head....

The setting is an island where a human wizard who found the secret to ethernal life lived, but his spells could not save his loved one and he made a deal with a deamon to bring her back to life. This of course backfired and the Island is now cursed. If the players decide to check out the tower of the wizard they will find some elixir of vitae and even a scroll of ressurection. But it is not ceartin that they will venture to the tower or know what they have found.

But i will consider permanent character damage as an alternative to death

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
There's a lot going on in this thread, so I'll see if I can help...

Firstly, even though increasing in rank has minimal game impact (except for magickers, I guess), advancement in Dragon Warriors is so slow that even a small step backwards might demotivate a player. Have you considered introducing protégés into your game? Basically, an NPC to which a character can donate up to 10% of their wealth and XP (within the narrative of the game, obviously) and could take over playing from the GM should the PC die. Such a protégé might be a knight's squire, a sorcerer's apprentice, a family member back home the PC sponsors, etc. Not only do these NPCs create attachments for the PC to roleplay but they can also generate whole new storylines and plot hooks.

Secondly, allow a character that has fallen behind in experience additional opportunity to earn more. In my game, any PC at least two ranks behind the party average earns an additional experience point per adventure, simply from being around more experienced adventures - something rubs off. If the player wants to write an adventure log, create a family tree, or otherwise contribute to your game world with some simple trivia, background, or colour, that should be worth something, too - remember that XP is as much a reward for the player as it is for the character. You might find that even those players that haven't fallen behind might start to contribute ideas and context to your game world too.

Lastly, if you're interested in introducing lasting injuries as alternatives to death, I have a little system I use in my games you're welcome to adapt: http://cobwebbedforest.co.uk/library/Do ... Wounds.pdf

And it sounds like a great background to adventure - a cursed island in which demonic powers seep through the living fabric of the land, twisting the living and the dead alike into grotesque parodies of immortality. If you get around to writing up the adventure, I'd encourage you to share!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Have you considered introducing protégés into your game? Basically, an NPC to which a character can donate up to 10% of their wealth and XP (within the narrative of the game, obviously) and could take over playing from the GM should the PC die.

Having a NPC available is a solution tp a PC's death . A bounty hunter, an adventurer rival etc why not a protégé too??, :)