Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:48 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Originally I was thinking of house purchases. Then it crossed my mind, an adventurer might want to start buying up farmland, make some investments and maybe have something to do in between adventures, especially with all the loot they got. Now, it might not be everyone's idea of fun to start up a medieval logistics company, but is that something that can be explored? We have some basic rules on ships in old book 6. So what if the players start getting into various business ventures? Would this be worth creating a paperback supplement or fan made material or do you think this has hardback potential?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
Originally I was thinking of house purchases. Then it crossed my mind, an adventurer might want to start buying up farmland, make some investments and maybe have something to do in between adventures, especially with all the loot they got. Now, it might not be everyone's idea of fun to start up a medieval logistics company, but is that something that can be explored? We have some basic rules on ships in old book 6. So what if the players start getting into various business ventures? Would this be worth creating a paperback supplement or fan made material or do you think this has hardback potential?

It depends how your Ellesland operates culturally. Assuming parallels with Dark Age Britain, vagabond adventurers wouldn't be allowed to own land and knights, who owned land, would consider running a business to be beneath their social class. Roll forward a couple of centuries, and you could play in a realm where there is tension between the declining noble classes, resentful of their loss of power to an increasingly wealthy (and therefore influential) merchant class. And the merchant classes themselves embroiled in their own politics of guilds and underhanded economics that could rival anything the nobles would get up to.

Warhammer FRPG released a supplement that enabled characters, based on their professional skills, to run businesses in their downtime, but WFRP was set in a pseudo-historical setting many centuries after DW. In the DW-era, you'd really only have nobles owning land, and merchant classes running small family businesses - the concept of a self-sustaining sprawling business empire would be exceptionally rare in that period.

The DW mechanics also don't really lend themselves to mercantilism - for example, where is the skills system or the economic model that would enable a GM to determine whether a business failed or prospered?

Of course, if the intention would be to give the characters something to do with their surplus loot, that's possibly the topic for a very different thread! After all, there's very little in the equipment lists for a character to buy, and I think a more relevant supplement to DW might be to look at what rich adventurers are more likely to spend their money on - for example, building a keep (once they have permission from the noble landowner, to whom they would also have to swear fealty, of course, which could itself be the source of many adventures!), sponsoring minstrels to sing of their achievements, donating to churches, erecting monuments, maintaining a militia (officially or unofficially...), wooing a potential wife/husband, etc. There are _LOTS_ of ways to part adventurers with their cash without having them invest in property or land :twisted: .

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Yeah, I think the equipment section can be expanded upon. My knowledge of medieval history consists of just a few films and some wiki links so I couldn't figure out how it all fits together.

Maybe an expansion on the 'gratitude of the church' and other parties. Maybe even some guidelines or helping GMs visualize the relationship between players and employers. Perhaps money spent on orphanages might yield useful intelligence or 'tangible benefits', lenient sentences or favour from a local lord in interpreting the law. There was information on freemen, artisans and non serfs in old book 6.

Surplus loot, yeah, how much to buy a healing potion? And what if you were to encounter other adventurers who might exchange or sell equipment. Maybe some old farmers might have hardware from their youth that they could let go for the price of a pig or two.

Well, maybe a more indepth guide to the dragwars setting, though not sure who has the time to do all that reading in this day and age. Maybe we can make it a Balin comic book demonstrating dragwars game mechanics in a city setting? I vaguely recall he was supposed to be a good looking knight and might actually be successful doing such things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
There is also the view that, as per the old Conan stories, it doesn't matter how much loot with which the adventurers return to civilisation, they will eventually fritter it away on alcohol, good living, and <ahem> "pleasures" and need to go adventuring again to fund their hedonistic lifestyles, so you don't really need to have a mechanic for parting adventurers with their cash because their own debauched vagrant lifestyles will see to that :).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Unfortunately in practice I've seen players hold back on such expenditures. You'd think they were all 21st century, sexually repressed people with victorian values. In all these years playing forum games I don't see players get drunk...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:

Warhammer FRPG released a supplement that enabled characters, based on their professional skills, to run businesses in their downtime, but WFRP was set in a pseudo-historical setting many centuries after DW. In the DW-era, you'd really only have nobles owning land, and merchant classes running small family businesses - the concept of a self-sustaining sprawling business empire would be exceptionally rare in that period.

The DW mechanics also don't really lend themselves to mercantilism - for example, where is the skills system or the economic model that would enable a GM to determine whether a business failed or prospered?

Of course, if the intention would be to give the characters something to do with their surplus loot, that's possibly the topic for a very different thread! After all, there's very little in the equipment lists for a character to buy, and I think a more relevant supplement to DW might be to look at what rich adventurers are more likely to spend their money on - for example, building a keep (once they have permission from the noble landowner, to whom they would also have to swear fealty, of course, which could itself be the source of many adventures!), sponsoring minstrels to sing of their achievements, donating to churches, erecting monuments, maintaining a militia (officially or unofficially...), wooing a potential wife/husband, etc. There are _LOTS_ of ways to part adventurers with their cash without having them invest in property or land :twisted: .

Hi all !
I agree . The warhammer FRPG supplement for me is a good base , but we must not exagerate the easiness of a business (you could add taxes of a lord, or the jealousy of other merchands etc) . We are not always historically accurate in Legend (if we assume Thuland is Scotland in the middle age, there were not such big cities as Brymstone or Katorheim) . In my humble opinion, that is an interesting idea to run a business, but don t again do the things easy for the pcs. Running a business on a rpg like DW has a different flavour : it is possible for me but we should not focus all the game on it, :).

About the loot, in the Fith edition of Pendragon RPG there is a book where you can write down all the money and properties you have. About magical items as rings, weapons and armours, in my campaign I will create a Holy order of knight, mystics (etc...) who can confiscate them . Dave did not want Dragon warriors be a supermarket of magical items, :) . I agree with Lee about the different ways to spend the money of the PCs, ;).
Have a good week-end!