Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Assassin Breakfall
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:33 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Starkad wrote:
Quote:
I'd perhaps also always give the benefit of the -2 damage even if not wearing armour.

Why? (Wouldn't this confuse with characters who are wearing armour?)

This would presumably stack if the Assassin wore armour (if not, why not?), making it a -4 modification.

Quote:
You could probably simplify it somewhat by making it a flat reduction in effective height fallen for each level of the skill - -4m, -6m, -8m (or some other set of values).

Isn't that what the current (new) rules set out? It's just that they've picked 6m, 12m and 18m...

Nah, what I mean is rather than 'can fall this high with no damage, but anything higher does full damage', the height of the fall is reduced by an amount for the purposes of calculating damage - so if you had breakfall to level 3, a 14m drop is considered a 6m drop (14-8) for the purposes of rolling damage.

The default -2 damage is just a suggestion to further mitigate the damage roll. It would not stack with wearing armour - in effect, the assassin always gets the armour bonus, naked or otherwise! They not only know how to land from a fall, but also where to land to minimise damage from the terrain itself. Optional though, can be ignored if it adds confusion to the general rule.

Assuming that the assassin gets the benefit of the -2 to damage, the maximum fall height with no injury would be 6m, 8m and 10m for each level of the skill. Without damage reduction, it's 4m, 6m and 8m.

Greater fall heights are possible without injury, but they start to rely a bit more on luck, or will cause some minor trauma if not too much greater than the skill allows.

I guess it comes down to how 'fantastic' you want your characters to be. I'd say a 10m fall with absolutely no injury is already pretty freakin' mystical!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:36 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
So what happens if the Assassin drops onto someone?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:54 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Kharille wrote:
So what happens if the Assassin drops onto someone?

Shock Attack! 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:00 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Well, ok, for a distance of 20m...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:07 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
It would be pretty shocking... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:02 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Back when I was at school, my Physics teacher broke a leg climbing ... because someone fell one him! The other guy was fine though, so maybe landing on people is -2 DAMAGE?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
There have been (rare) cases of people killed by having someone else fall on them...

Makes me think - has anyone worked out damage caused by falling objects? Would they have ABP, or just do damage - armour (a sort of "reverse fall")?
(Usually I've just gone with "this rock does X damage if it hits" or "if you're hit by that you're dead.")*

* The last time I used the latter case it was a lintel stone, probably weighing over half a ton.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Good question. Falling masonry, accelerating from a great distance....

Has been documented in HK. Falling domestic helper smacked onto a woman. Was not suicide so that was extreme bad luck. And only less than 2 months ago a friend said a body hit the ground near her car within metres.

I thought that since force is supposed to be equal, the recipient should take identical damage as the faller. Then again, one way is to split the fall damage between the two parties. Maybe a 'soft' landing can be survived by both.

Instant death traps. Something I should put in the sappers handbook....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:12 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Starkad wrote:
There have been (rare) cases of people killed by having someone else fall on them...

Makes me think - has anyone worked out damage caused by falling objects? Would they have ABP, or just do damage - armour (a sort of "reverse fall")?
(Usually I've just gone with "this rock does X damage if it hits" or "if you're hit by that you're dead.")*

* The last time I used the latter case it was a lintel stone, probably weighing over half a ton.

Some reversal of the fall damage table would be good if you wanted to 'quantify' this in a rule..., with a modifier based on weight of the object. So perhaps take the height of the drop, then move a step up the fall table for every 50kg the object weighs?

So a 250kg block falling 4m would do the equivalent of a 14m drop in damage (1d20) if not evaded.

Not sure of the evasion speed - if we go by the suggestions in the rulebook, between 10 & 12? The higher something drops, assuming you notice it falling, the longer you have to jump out of the way even though it is accelerating as it falls. So perhaps speed 10 for anything above 20m, speed 11 for anything falling between 10-20m, and speed 12 for anything falling less than 10m (you have only 1 second to get out of the way).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Physics Time!

Gravitational Potential Energy = mass x height x g (9.81)

Kinetic Energy = half mass x velocity squared

GPE = KE

I think mass and height should be plugged into a table to give variable damage.

Thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next