Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Ooooh - that's one I hadn't even considered. Well done for spotting! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
A detail almost hidden in the background... Well done indeed! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

It better not be the Sorcerer on page 118 using his right hand to cast Deathlight because that's weak.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

That's what it is ... :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Interesting, because the illustration on Page 36 shows a spellcaster also using their right hand. As this is in the section that also includes Mystics and Elementalists, perhaps he is not a sorcerer (and, by implication, only sorcerers are left handed)?
Except that he carries a scroll in his belt; and I thought that only sorcerers could read scrolls?*

* It might not be a magic scroll, of course...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Starkad wrote:
perhaps he is not a sorcerer

I think he's definitely meant to be the example Sorcerer (who we first see on page 31 along with the example Mystic). The reason I think this is a bit lamo is that nowhere does it say that just because Sorcerers are left-handed, they can only cast their spells with their left hand. To put it another way, if we saw a picture of a knight who we happened to know was right-handed wielding his sword with his left hand, we wouldn't conclude this was an insoluble paradox would we? Maybe he had a blister.

Hmm. Maybe I've been drinking too much coffee lately. I got a bit worked up there... :?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
WodenKrait wrote:
Starkad wrote:
perhaps he is not a sorcerer

I think he's definitely meant to be the example Sorcerer (who we first see on page 31 along with the example Mystic). The reason I think this is a bit lamo is that nowhere does it say that just because Sorcerers are left-handed, they can only cast their spells with their left hand. To put it another way, if we saw a picture of a knight who we happened to know was right-handed wielding his sword with his left hand, we wouldn't conclude this was an insoluble paradox would we? Maybe he had a blister.

Hmm. Maybe I've been drinking too much coffee lately. I got a bit worked up there... :?

Cheers,

-Kyle

Yeah, it's not really a contradiction - being left handed says nothing about which hand a spell effect can originate. However, it could be inferred - if you are right handed and you try to throw something with your left hand, your aim and power is typically severely reduced. The same may apply to Sorcerers, so aiming a dragonbreath with the right hand would incur poor accuracy (and perhaps reduction in speed, if a game penalty needed to be applied). I vaguely recall a similar penalty for combat mentioned if a character loses their favoured hand.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I vaguely recall a similar penalty for combat mentioned if a character loses their favoured hand.

Those rules can be found in DW Book 4, page 187. Having said that the character’s hand was crushed in a trap (and cannot be used again until a Miracle Cure is cast upon it), the character loses 1 from both ATTACK and DEFENCE until the hand is restored. A sorcerer with a mangled left hand has a 5% chance of miscasting spells.

Incidentally, it's here that I find the only mention of all sorcerers being left handed - unless someone can remember where else this might be mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Starkad wrote:
Quote:
I vaguely recall a similar penalty for combat mentioned if a character loses their favoured hand.

Those rules can be found in DW Book 4, page 187. Having said that the character’s hand was crushed in a trap (and cannot be used again until a Miracle Cure is cast upon it), the character loses 1 from both ATTACK and DEFENCE until the hand is restored. A sorcerer with a mangled left hand has a 5% chance of miscasting spells.

Incidentally, it's here that I find the only mention of all sorcerers being left handed - unless someone can remember where else this might be mentioned?

There is also a mention in book 6, in the entry for 'Helgrims Hand'. Would certainly been useful info to have in book 2 however!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:14 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
There is also a mention in book 6, in the entry for 'Helgrims Hand'.

So there is (page 66). Well spotted. :D

Quote:
Would certainly been useful info to have in book 2 however!

I wonder whether it's something that got thought up later? After all, the first mention of this doesn't appear until Book 4...