A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Kharille wrote:
But looks MUST matter! If I was rping realistically and if Clothilda had a fly problem then I'd probably charge the father a hell of a lot of gold! Don't forget not everyone has the time to chase after village idiots because they hang out with their hobgoblin friends.

As much as I hate to agree with Kharille about this, I must. Just because we as players are "woke" and don't objectify women (well, most of us; not sure about Kharille :P ) Legend is a sexist patriarchal society and the characters are a product of that. Objectification of Clothilda (at least the original version, not the scrawny kid from the new edition) is quite conceivable and would certainly influence the judgment of some characters.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
wimlach wrote:
Looks gave you benefits to Perception and Health points (or penalties if it was low!).

She was described as buxom after all, not sure how much of that was due to her looks score but it does suggest it might've been higher than average. She must've been high velocity impact resistant.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
As much as I hate to agree with Kharille about this, I must. Just because we as players are "woke" and don't objectify women (well, most of us; not sure about Kharille :P ) Legend is a sexist patriarchal society and the characters are a product of that. Objectification of Clothilda (at least the original version, not the scrawny kid from the new edition) is quite conceivable and would certainly influence the judgment of some characters.

You make a good point. Especially as the majority of PC "heroes" are likely to be young and male...

But there'd be extra incentives from the distress of those around them, the "right" thing to do, &c. If in need of inspiration, have a look at the news whenever a child goes missing/is abducted/&c. It's a bit ghoulish, but might help with the GM's role-playing...

Quote:
She was described as buxom after all, not sure how much of that was due to her looks score but it does suggest it might've been higher than average. She must've been high velocity impact resistant.

There was a role-playing game ("Macho Women With Guns") where you could roll for chest size... There was even a "top heavy" disadvantage! :lol:
(Yes, it was a spoof game. Quite well written, as it happens.)*

* (To read, not necessarily to play. I'm not sure it was ever intended to be played.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
This got me thinking about building in some kind of balancing feature to the game...

XP Balance Factor

This system is used instead of awarding a flat amount of xp on the conclusion of an adventure (between 1 and 10 according to the original rules).

At the end of an adventure, players roll a D20 against each of their attributes (Str, Ref, Int, Psy, Lks). If a roll is equal or greater than the attribute, they gain +1, +2 or +3 xp, depending on the difficulty of the adventure (easy, medium, or hard).

This encapsulates that characters with high attribute values must spend more time and effort maintaining those attributes, so have a little less time for furthering their professional skills and abilities.

It doesn't impact xp awarded during the adventure for defeating opponents or other specific challenges - only the 'generic' xp award for overall completion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
XP Balance Factor

I'm not sure about this... Dice can be fickle and a weak character could find themselves getting no additional XP simply due to some unlucky dice rolls at the end of the game.
(I have seen players roll dice so badly it defied statistical probability!) :roll:

Perhaps it would be better to work out the "rank equivalence" of characters and compare them to the group. Those with above average stats would be rated as 1, or even 2, ranks higher than their actual rank. Decide the group's "average" rank. Those above that average in "rank equivalence" receive -2 XP per rank they are above average. Conversely, a character that is below the average rank for the group receives +2 per rank they fall short of the average.

This would work for characters who are higher or lower rank due to accumulated XP (as well as due to their attribute scores).

As stated earlier:
Quote:
It doesn't impact xp awarded during the adventure for defeating opponents or other specific challenges - only the 'generic' xp award for overall completion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:40 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Starkad wrote:
I'm not sure about this... Dice can be fickle and a weak character could find themselves getting no additional XP simply due to some unlucky dice rolls at the end of the game.
(I have seen players roll dice so badly it defied statistical probability!) :roll:

With any die roll probability is a factor, but is mitigated somewhat with it being 5 rolls rather than 1, and only being used to determine a part of the xp normally awarded for an adventure.

Over the course of a characters adventuring career, this will give a bonus to characters with low attribute scores, inversely proportional to those scores. So while a weaker character could end up with no generic xp at the end of a single adventure due to bad die rolls, over the course of a campaign or several adventures, they will gain more than their powerful companions (on average).

Using a die roll in this way simplifies any 'formula' that might otherwise be required.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
wimlach wrote:
At the end of an adventure, players roll a D20 against each of their attributes (Str, Ref, Int, Psy, Lks). If a roll is equal or greater than the attribute, they gain +1, +2 or +3 xp, depending on the difficulty of the adventure (easy, medium, or hard).

I like that mechanic, although it makes it tough to rise above a skill of 20. Maybe 2d12 or 2d20 works, and you get a number of rolls (1, 2, or 3) depending on how challenging the adventure was.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:51 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Hm, I wouldn't penalize them for being sharper or stronger than others. Perhaps another game mechanic would be to allow intelligent people to get a bonus, since the intelligent are more likely to recall, revisit and gain from their experience. One way of making the intelligence stat more desirable over the others.

I think a looks based guide book would be nice. The complex social interactions in the medieval world, and how a looks 18 person can bribe, charm and sleep their way through encounters. Might even give us a reason to have some 'really good cover art'....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

WodenKrait wrote:
wimlach wrote:

I like that mechanic, although it makes it tough to rise above a skill of 20. Maybe 2d12 or 2d20 works, and you get a number of rolls (1, 2, or 3) depending on how challenging the adventure was.

Cheers,

-Kyle

Just to clarify - this isn't about increasing attributes or skills, it's about awarding xp at the end of an adventure. Your attributes determine how much extra xp you get.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:32 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Kharille wrote:
Hm, I wouldn't penalize them for being sharper or stronger than others. Perhaps another game mechanic would be to allow intelligent people to get a bonus, since the intelligent are more likely to recall, revisit and gain from their experience. One way of making the intelligence stat more desirable over the others.

I think a looks based guide book would be nice. The complex social interactions in the medieval world, and how a looks 18 person can bribe, charm and sleep their way through encounters. Might even give us a reason to have some 'really good cover art'....

This isn't about reality either - in real life, if you have exceptional attributes, you'll tend to do better than those who don't. It's about making the experience for the player more balanced, regardless of the character they are playing.