A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
Basically just charging in rugby/American Football style and trying to knock somebody over... But doing it while swinging in on a rope? Yes... Why not?

... I forgot about throwing rocks and suchlike (d'oh!) - the human body is pretty heavy though ... I'll do some calculations and see what kind of force a 70kg object swinging though the air would apply :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:43 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Starkad wrote:
Quote:
I think the only example where this would work would be trying to knock someone or something over/away from something - an unarmed strike (full body, knees or feet) maybe with a damage bonus (a STRENGTH check to stay upright?).

Basically just charging in rugby/American Football style and trying to knock somebody over... But doing it while swinging in on a rope? Yes... Why not?

You could have a basic ATT v DEF to see if there's a hit at all. Then, as you say, some kind of STR check to avoid being knocked over?
(If you're using 'fumbles' in your game, you could have it that an Attack roll of 20 results in the attacker not only missing, but falling & injuring themselves in the process? Swinging in on a rope is difficult, after all...)

I don't know if anyone has thought of DW 'house' rules for such a charge/bull rush type of attack?

I had a bunch of extra combat rules, including knocking opponents over and pushing them back.

Advanced Unarmed Attacks
These advanced attacks are only possible if your basic attack, your strength or your maximum health is greater than opponent’s maximum health (to prevent a character 'throwing' or grappling a large beast such as a dragon).

1. Knocking Opponents Over
To knock or throw an opponent to the ground, state this as the intention, and make two successful unarmed combat attacks. If both are successful, calculate damage from the second attack, and knock your opponent over.

2. Pushing Opponents Back
To push an opponent back, state this as the intention, and make two successful unarmed combat attacks. If both are successful, you may push your opponent back up to half your movement rate. You do not calculate damage from either attack.

3. Grappling Opponents
The same rules apply if you wish to grapple an opponent. A successful grapple will hold the opponent fast. The opponent must succeed in an unarmed attack using attack or strength vs. your defence or strength (whichever is higher) to break free. Once grappled an opponent’s defence is reduced to 0 for the purposes of further strikes. An opponent is at half attack and defence while prone (1 round to get up) and if grappled may only try to break free.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:42 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
3. Grappling Opponents
The same rules apply if you wish to grapple an opponent. A successful grapple will hold the opponent fast. The opponent must succeed in an unarmed attack using attack or strength vs. your defence or strength (whichever is higher) to break free. Once grappled an opponent’s defence is reduced to 0 for the purposes of further strikes. An opponent is at half attack and defence while prone (1 round to get up) and if grappled may only try to break free.

If you go to the files and sundries subforum there's a grapple table made by Starkad that I reformatted and reposted.