Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Elementalist
To me, orcs are too Tolkien to fit happily in Legend. The hobgoblin and troll or goblins are much more "period", and I think henchlings of evil are far easier to recruit from the ranks of humans (who are by far the most abundant race).
Undead soldiers work well if you want "mooks" -skellies and zombies are fitting esp for evil wizards who can have them raised by magic. Damn sight scarier than orcs which are, in Legend, basically taller, vanilla goblins. Meh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:55 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Knave
I don't think Orcs fit well in Legend either, at least not in Ellesland. Perhaps they would fit into Krarth or Mercania better. Also I wouldn't make them relatives of goblins or hobgoblins, which are mischevious fey spirits. Orcs are a twisted breeding experiments of a mad sorceror.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
On the subject of other monsters I think work very well, I particularly like most of the "originals", and some of the classic monsters that have been given a neat twist ore some lovely characterisation in their descriptions. Some of my favorites:

Automata: great, much more interesting than generic robots. I kind of picture them as looking like the Robots of Death robots, at least in the face.
Volucreth: I viewed these as a kind of descendent of the Gastornis "terror cranes" from the eocene and in my games expanded on their culture a lot.
Cloudspider: LOVE this creepy super-bug
Minotaur: So sad. But why are they carnivorous?
Obsidiak: These are just so wierd that I couldn't resist using them.
Rakshah: wonderfully evil. A real challenge too.
Nightmare: bit of a gimmick but fun the first time.
Vampire: Can't beat the classics.

Most of the monsters I didn't like in the setting (rather than didn't like for other reasons) were either "ports" from other gameworlds (elves bore me senseless for instance, although remodelled as Alfar, which I portray as being utterly inscrutable beings a bit like grey aliens from Communion or the X-files, they can be quite chilling) or really naff or ludicrous creatures from some of the less stellar game scenarios (killer bees anybody?).

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I think orcs and wadwos are pretty much interchangeable. What if Duke Darian used orcs instead of porcine men? And where are the porcine women?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:46 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
On the subject of other monsters I think work very well, I particularly like most of the "originals", and some of the classic monsters that have been given a neat twist ore some lovely characterisation in their descriptions. Some of my favorites:

Automata: great, much more interesting than generic robots. I kind of picture them as looking like the Robots of Death robots, at least in the face.
Volucreth: I viewed these as a kind of descendent of the Gastornis "terror cranes" from the eocene and in my games expanded on their culture a lot.
Cloudspider: LOVE this creepy super-bug
Minotaur: So sad. But why are they carnivorous?
Obsidiak: These are just so wierd that I couldn't resist using them.
Rakshah: wonderfully evil. A real challenge too.
Nightmare: bit of a gimmick but fun the first time.
Vampire: Can't beat the classics.

Most of the monsters I didn't like in the setting (rather than didn't like for other reasons) were either "ports" from other gameworlds (elves bore me senseless for instance, although remodelled as Alfar, which I portray as being utterly inscrutable beings a bit like grey aliens from Communion or the X-files, they can be quite chilling) or really naff or ludicrous creatures from some of the less stellar game scenarios (killer bees anybody?).

That's a nice list :). The bestiary has some evocative descriptions, and it is those creatures that bring the flavour of Legend to life that I appreciate the most - consider the description of the troll that includes such phrases as "gaunt creatures of morbid character", "supplement a diet of raw toads and muddy eels with the warm flesh of unfortunate travellers", and "capering madly along a distant ridge or loping sullenly in lonely places". Even the physical description conjurs in a few words more about the troll than a whole page of a Monster Manual: "wrinkled grey-white skin, slimy and scabrous. Blank eyes stare from the Troll's awful face and an odour of spilled blood wafts from its snaggle-toothed maw." Regardless of how easily or otherwise a party of adventurers may be able to defeat one in combat, the description paints a grotesque enough picture to cause shadows of doubt to dance in the hearts of the stoutest knight.

I wouldn't want my players to think 'oh, that's a troll, I'm 8th rank, so can easily kill it'. I want them to be afraid of every new or supernatural encounter - some they'll win, and some they'll lose, but all will be tense affairs where victory is uncertain. That's the hope, anyway, I've still got a lot to learn as a GM but Dave and Oliver's descriptions really help me out!

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:48 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

I think a mistake a lot of rookie GMs make, and experienced onces can slip into too from complacency, is to simply name the monsters when they appear in a game rather than giving their description (and by this I don't just mean how they look, but also their smell, sound, what they're doing etc). Realistically, most people in legend will never have seen a troll or ogre (for instance) and might not even know the difference between them. Likewise Goblins, boggarts etc. Its also clear that there will be a lot of misinformation floating about, and basilisks might routinely get confused with cockatrices or Gargoyles with Gnomes, even in learned scholars' tomes on such subjects.

Even seasoned adventurers are unlikely to get so accustomed to a supernatural creature that they will go "ho hum. Not another death's head!"

One of my fond roleplaying experiences as a GM was when I was able to elicit remorse and sadness from the players when I described the cave of the family of Ogres they had just slaughtered. The Ogres were pretty mean (eating children etc) but in their grotto were Lascaux-style cave paintings of hill ponies and deer, and their wailing baby ogre (now an orphan, of course) was clutching a crudely made corn doll.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:23 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
On the flipside, maybe an orc doesn't really exist. But this being the dark ages, the men working for an evil sorcerer or an enemy can be demonized, and become orcs in perception, as a result. Just like forces of nature are personalized/demonized and become goblins, hobgoblins and other creatures.. Just like Mungoda is full of Volucreths...

Just my incomplete thought on this. Not sure how to bring this about in-game lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:16 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
WodenKrait wrote:

I am very interested for any scenario, ressource, everything about Volucreth, :). By the way , Kyle, I have almost finished the first element spellbook (fire) and if you still want to give me your opinion...
I will show you as well my pattern about the elementalist class (mighty skills, roleplay, and ideas for being simple and attractive).

As for the orcs, even I have the same ideas as cobwebbed (low fantasy world we could replce them by humans), it could be interesting if players want to discover other races , to not delete them from legends (as kappas, dark elves, volucreth...).
They could be discreet in not well-known places

I was reading the topic for asking a question. The background of a city included trade with orcs (but with)difficulty in Thuland. Opinion? Maybe you like to change them by dwarves (dwarves in katorheim mountains?)

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:49 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

hermes421 wrote:
I am very interested for any scenario, ressource, everything about Volucreth, :).

My pleasure. I'll dig up my old docs.

Quote:
By the way , Kyle, I have almost finished the first element spellbook (fire) and if you still want to give me your opinion...
I will show you as well my pattern about the elementalist class (mighty skills, roleplay, and ideas for being simple and attractive).

That's awesome! I'm really keen to see it.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
hermes421 wrote:
I am very interested for any scenario, ressource, everything about Volucreth, :)

I recently started a new campaign set in Ongus with a plot involving Volucreth.

The Volucreth have a civilisation (similar to that of the Aztecs) deep in the mountains of the Mungodan continent. They regard themselves as the only truly civilised race with the most advanced culture and technology (and on some of the technological aspects they certainly exceed what is seen in the Coradian/Ta'ashim lands. They regard humans as a reasonably intelligent race suitable as slaves, and occasionally as trusted servants or agents - but they have been baffled by the recent arrival in the coastal areas of their continent of ships from both the Ta'ashim lands and the Coradian lands that are far in advance of Volucreth vessels and carrying humans who have obviously gained control of technologies that the Volucreth considered beyond humans - advanced metal working, etc. Incursions and explorations of these human peoples have started to get reasonably close to the actual lands of the Volucreth - still hundreds of miles away, but close enough that the Volucreth realise that they will eventually get there - and as stories and rumours of Cities of Gold are filtering through to these people they are becoming very eager to push further into the interior. So far the most valuable discovery they have made is the potato - which is taking some of the cities of Coradia by storm - especially Ongus.

There is considerable debate among the Volucreth Priest-Lords as to whether or not these man-beasts from the east (and also from the west - it's hasn't happened to quite the same extent yet, but landings have been made on the western coast of the dark continent of sailors from Khitai) represent human slaves of a very advanced group of Volucreth ('so advanced that even their slaves have similar weapons and technologies to us') or whether they actually represent a genuine human civilisation. To this end, the Volucreth have begun sending ships east - but their nautical technology is very limited (they've never really seen the need for much in the way of sea going vessels before) and so most never arrive - or never get back.

One group has recently succeeded in getting to Ongus - they managed to follow a trading vessel all the way up the river partly drawing on the powers of a High Priest who was aboard (a powerful Mystic - though Volucreth Mystics aren't the same as the ones familiar in Coradia - different spells etc). They were astonished when they arrived in what was clearly a large city - not as large as the biggest they'd seen, but large enough - almost entirely populated by humans. They hid out in an empty building, stole furs and sea-coal for warmth - these lands are terribly cold - and set out to try and learn what they could. But the High Priest who had been unable to carry out his religious obligations on the ship, insisted on some of the humans of this city being bought to him by his own human slaves for ritual sacrifice.

Even in Ongus, a person disappearing each night to be found gutted and eviscerated laid out in the grounds of a religious site (the Volucreth not understanding the religion of the people of Ongus treated all religious sites as equivalent - while most bodies were dumped in churchyards simply because they are by far the most common religious sites in Ongus, one was dumped in the ruins of an old Selentine Temple, and one on the stump of a giant Oak tree that is part of the ancient local faith) attracted attention. And as one of the first victims was the mother of one of my group of sixteen year old PCs....

The main clue left behind at the first scene was a large feather - and as there is a visiting Chaubrettan circus whose central act involves a man dressed in a suit of feathers flying across the largest open space in the city...

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide