Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
There will be some mentions of Volucreth in the PB. And in my games involving them they are similar to Shauns. But still mainly limited to deep southern Mungoda only headin north to raid and take slaves. As a result they are a little more Olmec in style but I think Shauns V. would represent a possible future for mine.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
It is well written (about the Volucreth so arrogant : and human slaves comparing their situation with other humans could be an idea for a scenario)

For being honest, I did not see them showing off in Ongus because it would speed up a reaction from northen countries (expéditions, etc...).
I was ready more for a scenario, where the party discover the civilisation (I Guess the work for creating it woud be long, but with such a freedom for the author...) and finally swore to not reveal what they saw.The volucreth in "Friends or foes" coud be the beginning of it (he talked about a war against their priests)

Maybe , in your campaign, Shaun, you keep a part of mystery at the end ?

By the way , I m not very fond of the resurrect spell , but what races could resurrect according to you (elfs can t except with the "caldron of kings"). If they want to question a dead monster (as volucreth...)

It's a question of soul, I guess.

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Damian May wrote:
There will be some mentions of Volucreth in the PB. And in my games involving them they are similar to Shauns. But still mainly limited to deep southern Mungoda only headin north to raid and take slaves. As a result they are a little more Olmec in style but I think Shauns V. would represent a possible future for mine.

I actually have some idea that there are multiple Volucreth cultures - another based on the Inca. So the Olmecs would be possible too. Why should there be only one Volucreth nation, after all?

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
hermes421 wrote:
For being honest, I did not see them showing off in Ongus because it would speed up a reaction from northen countries (expéditions, etc...).

It wasn't so much a matter of showing off as an insane High Priest who doesn't understand the value of staying quiet and being subtle. He is used to the idea that he can just slaughter humans at will. There were more sensible Volucreth in the group but they were honour bound to obey him and tried to be as quiet as possible.

hermes421 wrote:
Maybe , in your campaign, Shaun, you keep a part of mystery at the end ?

Yes, perhaps - but as at least one of my players is on this forum... well, I won't be revealing everything :)

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
I recently started a new campaign set in Ongus with a plot involving Volucreth.

SNIP...

This is all really interesting. "My" Volucreth are quite different, yet the same in some ways. My gameworld is not Legend, so in the summary below I've attempted to 'translate' world information into the closest Legend equivalent.

The Volucreth are fundamentally alien to humans. Our last common ancestor died out 300 million years ago, so our minds and theirs just don't work the same way. Even if we could learn their language, or they ours, we wouldn't be able to communicate any but the most rudimentary concepts, because our frames of reference are so different.

The volucreth heartland is a huge tropical island near in the centre of the great southern lake that feeds the Mungoda river. Volucreth have a sophisticated material civilisation, and live in great stone buildings, but also in bower towns among the dense jungle of their island.

They are both highly social and highly independent, and their behaviour with each other is baffling to humans, with respect and harshness to their fellows applied seemingly at random. For the most part they seem to lack tenderness and compassion to any noticable degree yet they treat their young (who hatch from eggs in enormous broods, and which are cared for communally) with great care. There is almost no noticable difference between male and female Volucreth, either in behaviour or appearance, and both care equally for their young.Young volucreth are little more than beasts and only develop higher intelligence after several years of life. Volucreth live for many decades and are immune to most diseases that afflict humans, but suffer from several unique to their own race, including a bizarre form of lycanthropy that turns them into something similar to a griffin.

Volucreth tend to be highly strung, excitable and volatile. I've realised in writing this you can get a sense of their fractious demeanor (as I used to portray it) by studying the Earl of Lemongrab from Adventure Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stNDDaSysyQ

They are not inclined to ritual or spirituality but treat magic and mysticism rather like a form of mathematics or engineering, both of which they excel at.

Physically, volucreth are huge and strong, but surprisingly nimble; they have hollow bones and very efficient circulatory and respiratory systems, and can run for hours or fight for extended periods without growing tired. They have keen eyesight but a poor sense of smell.

Volucreth have never visited the lands of the true faith, but fourteen years ago a naked volucreth, near to death (perhaps a shipwreck or escaped prisoner), was captured by slavers in northern Mungoda and eventually sold to Grand Master of the knights Capellar, where after some time he was presented to the King of Chaubrette as a coronation gift. After living in the king's menagerie for a few months, the wretched creature, which simply sat in its cage unmoving, and barely eating, wasted away and died without ever giving even the slightest indication of what was going on in its mind.

There's more, but that is enough for today...

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:15 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
Dreadnought wrote:
Damian May wrote:

I actually have some idea that there are multiple Volucreth cultures - another based on the Inca. So the Olmecs would be possible too. Why should there be only one Volucreth nation, after all?

Absolutely, further south are even stranger Volucreth societies, in the stretches of the far south they live as varied lives as humans do...just in very different ways to the furballs.

I have left it open but my current theory is that the Volucreth are from a landmass where mammals never got to the mega-fauna stage and it is only relatively recently ( geologically speaking) that their landmass ran into the southern coast of Mungodas landmass.

At least thats the theory I'm currently working with. :)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
What sort of technology do you have your orcs using? Seems that humans have their cavalry whereas orcs tend to be depicted as relatively primitive and crude. I know that the Hobbit say they create ingenious devices for inflicting pain, if I recall correctly. Maybe they have their favourite technologies?

And would there be any reason for orcs to get along with other races like Goblins? If so, what races would they not get along with that don't get along with humans too?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640