A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Unbalanced in DW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:33 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
I would like your opinion, from your experience , what looks like unbalanced in this game.
It would be interesting to know your solutions to fix it.

Personally, I think about :

- the astral gate spell (lvl 8 sorcerer) . There was a game where the GM set up a huge ambush after they found the famous object, this mass teleport spell did it fail. :D . 150 km is too much as well

- the resurrect spell (lvl 10 sorcerer). It doesn t penalize enough the sorcerer (exhausted one whole week, and lose some experience would be fine), and I guess the money charged is really too cheap (if the sorcerer is a pc and the dead a pc too, there would be an interesting start of bargaining).

- a plate armour +3 / An armour factor of 8 is huge (for the PC) !
Plus, the warlock has a spell which gives +2 again... Some versions of rules have roll dies for calculating the dmg (is it enough??).
I was thinking to cut one AF to every armour (plate = 4, chainmail= 3...)

- as many people agreed, the barbarian ( not enough diversified) and the elementalist (too weak) must be revised.

- the raw power . Some good suggestions were written on dragwars group.

What are your own thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Unbalanced in DW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Yeah, too many schools of assassins. I guess they didn't have that much space, but different Assassin clans would be nice. Middle eastern ones, far east ones, various Elleslandic or continental ones. I get the feeling even some urban city thugs would count. Not all of them would have the spectacular meditational abilities.

I think Mungodans would've been skilled in poison use. They do have that ability in book 6 right?

The elementalist could do with more fluff.

The warlock damned well needs justification for its existence. I think it was based on something, Elric or some fiction novel or comic. Not sure, but its too much fantasy.

The Knight has so much choice in skills of the almighty compared to the barbarian. At least in the original books, I barely have time to go through the main rulebook....

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
hermes421 wrote:
the astral gate spell (lvl 8 sorcerer) . There was a game where the GM set up a huge ambush after they found the famous object, this mass teleport spell did it fail. :D . 150 km is too much as well

It's worth noting the limitation of the Astral Gate spell - each time anyone passes through it, roll 1d6 to see if it closes. Does the sorcerer wait until the end to see if everyone gets away safely (opening another Astral Gate if the other one closes), potentially stranding the weak and feeble Sorcerer to fend off the ambush by himself if he's unlucky with die rolls and runs out of MPs? Plus it takes several rounds to open an Astral Gate - even if he has enough MP, does he have that long... As GM, I'd also feel comfortable placing a constraint that only one person can pass through the Astral Gate per round.

hermes421 wrote:
the resurrect spell (lvl 10 sorcerer). It doesn t penalize enough the sorcerer (exhausted one whole week, and lose some experience would be fine), and I guess the money charged is really too cheap (if the sorcerer is a pc and the dead a pc too, there would be an interesting start of bargaining).

Resurrection is a great way for the GM to mess with the players. Such powerful magic should come at a cost - not just to the sorcerer, but the character being resurrected. Simply put, don't let them come back quite the same - maybe there is an ongoing ritual they need to perform periodically to maintain their life; something unsavoury... Maybe they come back with some additional vulnerabilities - not quite undead, but unable to walk on hallowed ground, cast no shadow, etc. - something that marks them as cursed and otherworldly. In such a superstitious age, this could have serious consequences for that character. Maybe the character no longer heals naturally. And so on. And maybe when the sorcerer casts the spell, all he receives is a vision of how to reclaim the character's soul from the Land of the Dead (or maybe it just opens a portal there, through which the sorcerer must pass to reclaim the soul, and return...). If it were as easy as mumbling a few words and people popped back to life, everyone would be doing it. It should be hard, risky and fraught with unforeseen consequences. Or maybe that's just the way my mind works :mrgreen:

Quote:
- a plate armour +3 / An armour factor of 8 is huge (for the PC) !
Plus, the warlock has a spell which gives +2 again... Some versions of rules have roll dies for calculating the dmg (is it enough??).
I was thinking to cut one AF to every armour (plate = 4, chainmail= 3...)

Well, you could not award the player +3 armour... Very few characters can wear plate armour in the first place, so that's one limiting factor, but I wouldn't reduce the AF of armour - it's too useful in such a dangerous combat system. I think you'd find a lot more players dying if you did that. And don't forget that armour only protects from one kind of damage - by the time your knights are walking around in +3 plate armour, they probably have more to worry about than steel.

Quote:
as many people agreed, the barbarian ( not enough diversified) and the elementalist (too weak) must be revised.

There's another thread talking about professions, so I'll leave that to that thread.

Quote:
the raw power.

Worst implementation of a good idea ever. What were they thinking... And, yes, some good ideas on Yahoo Group, which don't bear repeating here. Just search :).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Knave
Yes, spell power increases greatly with higher levels - but is perhaps no worse than the spell lists in other rpgs of the same era. Flashy powerful spells are "cool for kids", right?

These days, I think there might be merit in somehow merging the concepts imbued in magic item creation with higher level spellcasting. This could serve to reinforce a low-magic ethos and deter crash-bang high-magic lightshows. For example, do you want to create a huge tsunami? That's fine, but you'll need to wait several days while you prepare the spell correctly... and don't forget the health penalty that the spell will drain from you if you take any shortcuts!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:34 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Kharille wrote:
The warlock damned well needs justification for its existence. I think it was based on something, Elric or some fiction novel or comic.

It s an interesting class, and your probably right it was based on Elric for instance.
Quote:
As GM, I'd also feel comfortable placing a constraint that only one person can pass through the Astral Gate per round.

Concerning, your idea to change the ambush (I feel the GM mind :) ) , I understand the GM still be the GM, but how many times could he do this? The player has this spell permanently, he can not have a surprise everytime.
An other example, f the GM planned the players stay a geographical area , he cannot find a trick everytime ( spells dont work here,or you are prisonner and gagged, lol).
I changed your idea : "only one person can pass through the Astral Gate per spell." Sure , it would be largely less worthy than "teleport" (who can save the life of the caster immediately), but there would be the distance bonus (150 km).
And so, the GM could keep many members on he place they should stay (instead of already drinking their beer for celebrating their mission, :D )
Quote:
Resurrection And maybe when the sorcerer casts the spell, all he receives is a vision of how to reclaim the character's soul from the Land of the Dead (or maybe it just opens a portal there, through which the sorcerer must pass to reclaim the soul, and return...).

I like very much your idea. a quest, a fight , something not easy
Quote:
a plate armour +3 , A 8 AF is huge, what about reduce the AF of every armour? : too many players would die
And don't forget that armour only protects from one kind of damage - by the time your knights are walking around in +3 plate armour, they probably have more to worry about than steel.

I understand your assessment (too many players would die) . What about a maximum +2 armour (+3 would be +2)?
I still be not convinced that being almost invincible to Swords (against 4 or 5 fighters or more) would not be great to diversify the threats in the adventure.
By the way , I like very much your website, especially the random treasure tool,:). Your project to classify the dragwars group is ambitious but very useful, I guess.

Concerning Jiminy's post on the "flashy" spells , I humbly agree, it could be an idea to add contraints to many spells : time, an item needed (bulky, crafted or rare, a bit as the gamebooks "sorcery!" of Steve Jackson).
If you have other ideas of unbalanced things...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

hermes421 wrote:
By the way , I like very much your website, especially the random treasure tool

<gush>

You're welcome. In the next iteration of the treasure tool, there will be objet d'art and objet de curiosite adding variety and spice to the treasures that can be found... If you're interested in updates on what's being added to\developed in the Cobwebbed Forest, keep an eye on (or subscribe to) this thread: http://forum.libraryofhiabuor.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30.

Thanks for feedback, it really does make my day when someone says the like something in the Forest :P.

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Well, about the +3 plate, imagine if a mortal had to take on a dragon by himself. Supposedly you should be able to equip a player so that he can do some extreme extermination. Of course they're meant to be rare, and imagine the rare occasion where you have to take out an NPC with extreme protection.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:31 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Kharille wrote:
Well, about the +3 plate, imagine if a mortal had to take on a dragon by himself. Supposedly you should be able to equip a player so that he can do some extreme extermination. Of course they're meant to be rare, and imagine the rare occasion where you have to take out an NPC with extreme protection.

I'm all for equipping adventurers with the tools they need to succeed in an adventure, and +3 plate definitely fits that category if the party are going against a dragon. However, it's what to do with the +3 plate once its served its function. You don't want the knight to keep it and walk through any future combat, and you don't want to just take it from him, but maybe there's a cost to keeping such a powerful magical item charged, or maybe it only works at +3 power in certain magically-charged zones (like a dragon's cave), the rest of the time it's only +1 (or, if you're feeling generous, +2). Maybe its powers wax and wane with the passing of the stars (you could have a magical item have auspicious periods, just like people in my horoscopes app - http://cobwebbedforest.co.uk/workshop/Horoscope.php) so it is only a +3 enchantment for brief periods in its lifetime. Puts pressure on the characters to attack the dragon in a very narrow window of opportunity! Maybe the magical aura from the armour has such a disruptive influence on magic in the area that all spells cost an additional magic point to cast (or double, or whatever you consider balancing) - then there's pressure from within the party to only use it when absolutely necessary.

Plenty of options to give the players +3 plate without it being too unbalancing to the game, I think. Enjoy!

Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Maybe its flawed and susceptible to water damage. Maybe we should expand in the 'flawed item' concept. Guess the dwarves wouldn't have a problem with this.

Was there a flawed percentage chance for warlocks? Can't be bothered bringing up the pdf....

yeah, during a certain time in the year when you get a 3 planet eclipse... Best time to go up against dragons....

Doesn't provide +3 to MAGICAL DEFENCE does it?....

I think +3 swords need a few more features... maybe hideous screams as the sword bathes in blood, an unholy banshee scream crying out for more blood and taking 3 days to calm down. Imagine the racket, you sure don't want to be in a city, and you might even hurl the damned thing. So many subtle effects you can add to enchanted swords. Maybe I should start a new thread on that. Just as Sting operates as an orc radar.... Perhaps 'Bling' plays ABBA at high volume in the presence of Elves. Such a sword would of course be discarded by any Assassin...

I have a feeling some things like lances would be very unbalanced. Its not really implemented, but under the right circumstances you could probably take out ogres really easily in the open....

Shouldn't there be a minimum charge distance?

Anybody can wear plate. Just that you can't fight that well in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:47 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Quote:
Plenty of options to give the players +3 plate without it being too unbalancing to the game, I think.

hum, you still have a good GM imagination , but limit the bonus to +2 for the armour sounds the best option (I can add the idea , the magic power of the armour increase to +3 in the presence of a dragon ) . Because f they find an other one ( ok we choose as gm if they find one more..) , we should deal with it again..

Concerning the features , Kharille talked about, you make me think about " Stormbringer", :) .