Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:21 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
It is easy enough to shout from the sidelines I suppose. Having said that, I have a couple of questions.

How big of an operation is SKG? That is, how many people (FTEs if you like)?
    Have they done this before?

Having never published anything myself, I don't know what's involved, but I would assume that when most of your content is already effectively written, a legit publisher would have sufficient project management capability to be able to provide a realistic delivery timeframe for its goods. However if SKG is basically two guys new to the business doing this out of love (which I think is totally cool if true, don't get me wrong), then the puzzling lack of reliable information about the status of this long awaited book makes a lot more sense.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:42 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
WodenKrait wrote:
It is easy enough to shout from the sidelines I suppose. Having said that, I have a couple of questions.

How big of an operation is SKG? That is, how many people (FTEs if you like)?
    Have they done this before?

Having never published anything myself, I don't know what's involved, but I would assume that when most of your content is already effectively written, a legit publisher would have sufficient project management capability to be able to provide a realistic delivery timeframe for its goods. However if SKG is basically two guys new to the business doing this out of love (which I think is totally cool if true, don't get me wrong), then the puzzling lack of reliable information about the status of this long awaited book makes a lot more sense.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Cheers,

-Kyle

You don't know who makes up SKG?

Originally it was Ian Sturrock, Jon Hodgson, Gareth Hanrahan. You should recognise those three names as fairly hefty names in the rpg industry.

Jon H. left last year when he became Art Director at Cubicle 7. Gareth is fairly hands off of SKG as far as I know cos he's pretty busy developing multiple lines at C7.

Ian works full time in yeaching and academics and is fairly heavily involved in the UK LARP scene so SKG is done in what little spare time he can squeeze between family commitments.

Last year Kieren Turley came on board and has been working hard but he also has a regular fulltime job and other commitments.

Thats about all I know from the outside looking in...hhopefully I got the general facts right. :-)

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:50 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Pragmatic question, please:
how much is the price of the book?

thank you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
hermes421 wrote:
Pragmatic question, please:
how much is the price of the book?

thank you

I don't think we have any idea of that yet :)

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

That's interesting information. It's good to see DW is in the hands of people who care about it, and from my own experiences I can sympathise with the problems of trying to get projects done in non-existent "free" time. Once the PB is finally out I imagine SKG will have a better idea of how much time the next major release (and I hope for many more!) will truly require.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:03 pm 
3rd Rank
3rd Rank

Profession: Knave
Damian May wrote:
Thats about all I know from the outside looking in...hhopefully I got the general facts right. :-)

Looks right to me - although I have a similar perspective as a non-staff writer. Kudos to Shaun and Damian for elaborating on the situation.

After the last few years my guidance is a bit wear-worn but still valid. Patience is a virtue.

There seem to be just a few technical hiccups to overcome - although I don't know what they are - and then I think we will all be able to see the PB on sale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:58 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Late to this, with the book about to come out...but I'd like to see an in-setting explanation for the Warlock profession that gives them a reasonable niche in the world. I have my own explanation for what they are exactly, but I'd like to see an "official" take.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:32 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Thorak wrote:
Late to this, with the book about to come out...but I'd like to see an in-setting explanation for the Warlock profession that gives them a reasonable niche in the world. I have my own explanation for what they are exactly, but I'd like to see an "official" take.

Unless warlocks are explained as part of an Organisation detailed within the Players' Book, it doesn't look like they will be. If you've not yet seen the Players' Book contents, you can check it out here:

http://serpentking.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DragonWarriors-Players-Guide-Contents.pdf

That said, your explanation for the warlock profession is going to be no less valid than anything SKG eventually produces, so please share it on this forum.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Unless warlocks are explained as part of an Organisation detailed within the Players' Book, it doesn't look like they will be. If you've not yet seen the Players' Book contents, you can check it out here:

I think I can say that one of the organisations will be of specific interest in this regard, and it's not the only thing in the book that is.

Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
That said, your explanation for the warlock profession is going to be no less valid than anything SKG eventually produces, so please share it on this forum.

Absolutely.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Cobwebbed Dragon wrote:
Thorak wrote:

In the waning days of the Selentine Empire, an order of imperial paladins arose to fight back the barbarian hordes. These special legions fought using both arms, and a unique arcane lore. Though ultimately vanquished, the tradition of martial training and arcane spellcasting lived on amongst a few noble families of the Selentine lands. There the special spells are passed on from father to son (and occasionally daughter) and jealously kept from outsiders. These few are the Warlocks. Proudly elitist relics of a bygone age, they often conceal their skills from jealous outsiders, but at the same time their deeds of renown in the defense of the realm are still occasionally needed. The land of the crusades have become a base for their operations, and there they have after a lapse of several hundred years once more come together as a formal organisation, small but growing in power.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next