Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:33 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
DW, being a "class" based system, does not easily permit skills and abilities fom one profession to be learnt by the member of another. Sometimes this makes sense but other times it really would be good to be able to differentiate the career of a character a little more by allowing them to pick up abilities from other professions, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why this should be allowed, apart from the mechanics.

I had a thought about how this might be made to work in some cases, however, and it all comes to sacrificing experience points. I haven't thought it out in great detail yet, but here goes, using use a knight learning alchemy as my example.

A player declares that he wants his knight to begin learning alchemy (in a plausible way, for instance from a sorcerer in the party). Whenever the character accrues experience points, he has the option to assign them not to the normal xp stockpile but to the alchemy score instead. This accumulates and in the same way as regular rank it improves at specific intervals. The points at which the skill "ranks up" should be set at some fraction of the normal rank escalation, say 20%, with a 'buy in' to allow rank 1.

Our knight, for instance, needs 6xp (20% of 30) to get to rank 1, then 6xp more to get to alchemy rank 2, 12xp to get to alchemy rank 3, and so on until 40xp are accrued, bringing alchemy rank 6, sufficient to brew the most basic potions.

Although this only works for certain skills and abilities, I can't see any obvious issues with it. Needless to say, I haven't actually tested this idea in any concrete way. Perhaps this is an old idea and I just haven't heard of it before. Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I prefer palladium fantasy rpg where everyone can get the same skills, but some people get bonuses, such as wizards get bonuses to healing. I'm sure skills can be expanded on. Note that a sorcerors rank determines what is available to the player in terms of types of potions.

I think it would be nice to break out of the set ranks, but that breaks the atmosphere as all players become the same generic warlock types.

Would be nice if everyone was able to pick swimming as a skill but then, why don't you just play palladium fantasy?

Still, for the Knight, though he might be literate, he won't know arcane, won't be able to read up on theories or arcane journals. If there was a system of multiclassing like adn'd 2nd edition...

Still, we have a system of learning languages. Bit awkward the way the rules stand as they are right now. Perhaps we can rip up the dragwars system and redo it differently?

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:43 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

WodenKrait wrote:
DW, being a "class" based system, does not easily permit skills and abilities fom one profession to be learnt by the member of another. Sometimes this makes sense but other times it really would be good to be able to differentiate the career of a character a little more by allowing them to pick up abilities from other professions, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why this should be allowed, apart from the mechanics.

I had a thought about how this might be made to work in some cases, however, and it all comes to sacrificing experience points. I haven't thought it out in great detail yet, but here goes, using use a knight learning alchemy as my example.

A player declares that he wants his knight to begin learning alchemy (in a plausible way, for instance from a sorcerer in the party). Whenever the character accrues experience points, he has the option to assign them not to the normal xp stockpile but to the alchemy score instead. This accumulates and in the same way as regular rank it improves at specific intervals. The points at which the skill "ranks up" should be set at some fraction of the normal rank escalation, say 20%, with a 'buy in' to allow rank 1.

Our knight, for instance, needs 6xp (20% of 30) to get to rank 1, then 6xp more to get to alchemy rank 2, 12xp to get to alchemy rank 3, and so on until 40xp are accrued, bringing alchemy rank 6, sufficient to brew the most basic potions.

Although this only works for certain skills and abilities, I can't see any obvious issues with it. Needless to say, I haven't actually tested this idea in any concrete way. Perhaps this is an old idea and I just haven't heard of it before. Thoughts?

You've almost exactly described my skills system... (read it here, if you're interested).

In a nutshell, as your character earns experience points, you can either save them towards your professional development (going up in rank when you have a certain number of XP, as currently), or you can go 'off-piste' with your training and deduct experience points you want to spend on developing skills outside your profession. I've playtested it and it works pretty well, especially when combined with the 5d6 character creation method (drop highest and lowest result) so adventurers have more moderate ability scores and therefore need the additional bonus that a skill in something gives them.

However, you need to be careful about what is an ability (like a sorcerer's spellcasting) and what is a skill (like a barbarian's tracking skill) - you have to ask yourself whether it's possible for another character to learn another profession's skill. For example, if alchemy is purely an academic exercise of mixing ingredients, then anyone could learn it. However, if alchemy requires a sorcerous ritual to be performed over otherwise inert materials to turn them into a potion, then it wouldn't be a skill another profession could learn.

As a skills system is probably one of the biggest detractors to the Dragon Warriors mechanics, I'm particularly interested in the Players' Book's skill system to see what SKG's approach has been.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:37 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
It was fast to start a game in dragwars. I remember the number of times we wasted time creating characters in Palladium system. I think sometimes we had just the one session creating characters, maybe 1 hour of gameplay before we went home.

I suppose the skill system could be improved upon. Perhaps something simple like star wars d6 would've been nice. Not an issue with dragwars I guess.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Kharille wrote:
It was fast to start a game in dragwars. I remember the number of times we wasted time creating characters in Palladium system. I think sometimes we had just the one session creating characters, maybe 1 hour of gameplay before we went home.

It's even faster to start a game with this cheeky little web-app:

http://cobwebbedforest.co.uk/workshop/CharGen.php

Not that I'm blatantly self-promoting my site on here, or anything... :lol:

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
I've uploaded my own skill based house ruleset for DW (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100)

I've made it compatible with vanilla DW - you can use either method of creating and developing a character, even in the same game.