A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alternate settings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Barbarian
Has anyone made their own setting for DW? I've been toying with the idea of creating my own. It would remain quite Legend/DW-ish, with European/Celtic lands abutting more exotic locales. In fact, I'd like to make it quite "Morrisonian" as it would also be influenced by Fabled Lands and the Golden Dragon gamebooks (I really like Dave Morris' pseudo-Tekumel which keeps on popping up in his work. That exoticism combined with the true feel for European folklore is why he is a genius).

But I wonder if A) this setting would be kind of redundant and B) maybe using DW rules but subtracting the setting would be getting rid of the strongest part. After all, we don't really play DW for the kickass rules - they're serviceable at best. But I do like the rules for the simplicity and nostalgic vibe.

So: a DW campaign without Legend, what do you think?

Post subject: Re: Alternate settings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I've almost never used Legend , and have instead had a string of home-grown worlds ever since I started playing the game. This is partly down to me being a control freak, but mainly because I just love worldbuilding.

All of my worlds have been heavily influenced by Legend, but none of them have been as good, although they're all very dear to my heart (even the puerile very early ones) They still work though because regardless of the names of the countries or the shapes of the coastlines in your world, a lot of the atmosphere of Dragon Warriors comes through in the monsters, the social structures, the magical items etc.

Realistically, there's not lot of reason for dumping Legend unless you have a specific reason to do so though, like all your players know the rulebook back to front and aren't good enough roleplayers to not give their characters access to this knowledge.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
I use a lot of orcs. Always a mountain range where the dwarves get the brunt of it. I know Legend has a lot of human to human interactions but I do like the orc troll armies, a bit like Tolkien I suppose.

I love what Dave Morris did in his computer game Warrior Kings, a faction which uses fantasy beasts as siege engines.

Orc nations... I treat them like some kind of evil barbarian invader type. You don't get much in the way of 'civilized' orcs. I treat them like Klingons.

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:27 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Thorak wrote:
Has anyone made their own setting for DW? I've been toying with the idea of creating my own. It would remain quite Legend/DW-ish, with European/Celtic lands abutting more exotic locales. In fact, I'd like to make it quite "Morrisonian" as it would also be influenced by Fabled Lands and the Golden Dragon gamebooks (I really like Dave Morris' pseudo-Tekumel which keeps on popping up in his work. That exoticism combined with the true feel for European folklore is why he is a genius).

But I wonder if A) this setting would be kind of redundant and B) maybe using DW rules but subtracting the setting would be getting rid of the strongest part. After all, we don't really play DW for the kickass rules - they're serviceable at best. But I do like the rules for the simplicity and nostalgic vibe.

So: a DW campaign without Legend, what do you think?

I tend to do both. I use 'Legend' inasmuch as I use the names and flavour, but 'my' Legend actually looks a lot different and brings greater focus to the elements of the atmosphere I like. For example, elves are not player character races, nor are they humanoid creatures that can be killed with swords, only placated through ritual. If you hear the grey folk singing in the wind as it blows around the Caulder Stones (a set of standing stone circles), or you see concentric ripples in the moonlit surface of Steeple's Lake created by the feet of the dancing grey folk, then it would be wise to make the appropriate offerings of fruit, blood or wood else they may take your children, sicken your livestock and visit ill-fortune upon you.

I've attached a (draft) map of the barony of Axgrave to this post - when it's finished, it will be uploaded to the Cobwebbed Forest (along with the Gazeteer that accompanies it), and I guess the barony could be inserted somewhere into Albion (or elsewhere in Legend), but that's not my vision for the place. You'll notice some of the place names are the same as some Albish places, which was done both as a deliberate homage to the original Legend and also because some of the first adventures through which I took my players when playtesting the house rules were the published adventures (with some of my own homebrew tweaks).

Attachments:
File comment: A (very draft) map of the Barony of Axgrave, a hotbed of Dragon Warriors adventure.
Axgrave.JPG
Axgrave.JPG [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 4110 times ]

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!