A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bretwald returns!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:23 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Warlock
I bought the Players Guide yesterday and it's a nice addition to the DW library (I find it fantastic that it keeps growing!).

When reading about the new profession Priest I thought about Bretwald, the village priest from the very first DW adventure I ever played, The King under the Forest. I've always liked him and now, thanks to the new Guide, this is his chance to become a more evolved NPC! But the question is, Priest at which Rank? And with which abilities? He appears to be a simple village priest who "will not fight at any point unless it is to save his life", but who knows what he hides beneath that humble role!

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Bretwald returns!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:08 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Knight
Remembering that a village priest isn't always an adventuring priest, Bretwald may be just and ordinary unranked human with the job of a priest.

However if you want him to be more than that go for it! Make him the same rank as the players and pick the skills you think will be most useful to them. Under breadth of knowledge he would have myths and folklore (or something similar) to explain his study of Vallander.

Post subject: Re: Bretwald returns!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
shugal wrote:
I bought the Players Guide yesterday and it's a nice addition to the DW library (I find it fantastic that it keeps growing!).

When reading about the new profession Priest I thought about Bretwald, the village priest from the very first DW adventure I ever played, The King under the Forest. I've always liked him and now, thanks to the new Guide, this is his chance to become a more evolved NPC! But the question is, Priest at which Rank? And with which abilities? He appears to be a simple village priest who "will not fight at any point unless it is to save his life", but who knows what he hides beneath that humble role!

What do you think?

Each year I run a number of convention games of Dragon Warriors. Most of these games take place in a series we've come to refer to as 'The Springdale Chronicles', which is designed as the continuing adventures of a group of adventurers who completed all the adventures in Books 1 to 6 (or in Sleeping Gods, The Elven Crystals, and The Power of Darkness if you prefer).

I chose to begin this series with the death of Bretwald - the characters were summoned to see him, as he lay dying still tending his flock at his small Church in Axbridge. But the man had changed. Humbled by his experiences in Fenring Forest, he had embraced his religious life, and by the time of his death, was at least close to sainthood.

I like Bretwald. :)

I'd probably make him a 1st Rank Priest if I was running the adventures again. No, not all village priests are of the 'adventuring profession' - in fact, most aren't, but here we are dealing with a man who has already gone after a treasure once, seen everybody around him killed, and wants to do it again. If that's not an adventurer, I don't know what is.

In terms of abilities, as a 1st Rank Priest, they are set, but one of his three 'Breadth of Knowledge' areas would definitely be 'History and Mythology of Valandarian Albion'.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide