A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Does this look familiar?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
This map should be familiar to many of you.

I am trying to make sure I do at least of RPG related 'work' every day this year. I've been coasting too much while sick.

This is being set up to use with Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds at some point which is why the dimensions are a little different. I've changed them so it works with the 1.5 m squares I use when running DW with miniatures.

Attachments:
The King Under the Forest Small.PNG
The King Under the Forest Small.PNG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 4432 times ]

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Profession: Barbarian
12 swords... wonder whether we could make the final battle ground more interesting... things to swing on and all...

And so the show begins!!!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dwp ... ssages/640

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
Kharille wrote:
12 swords... wonder whether we could make the final battle ground more interesting... things to swing on and all...

You make suggestions, I'll try and map them :)

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 am 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Was it totally dark? Don't have the books, was it totally dark or was there some torch brackets or other lighting? You know, a few well placed torch brackets might allow someone to swing down to the ground floor. Was the ceiling featureless?

Yeah, maybe some features like tree roots that grow into each chamber would allow an assassin to swing his way behind foes… Don't forget the occasional loose tile that might trip people up, or hurled at enemies… For some adventurers like sappers, every aspect of their environment is something to be taken advantage of....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Dreadnought wrote:
I am trying to make sure I do at least of RPG related 'work' every day this year.

That's fantastic - I look forward to the output of all of this. I do enjoy your work.

Kharille wrote:
Was it totally dark [...] or was there some torch brackets or other lighting? You know, a few well placed torch brackets might allow someone to swing down to the ground floor.

Hmmm... A bracket designed to bear the weight of a torch bearing the weight of an armoured man swinging on it. Time to roll some falling damage :D.

Kharille wrote:
Yeah, maybe some features like tree roots that grow into each chamber would allow an assassin to swing his way behind foes… Don't forget the occasional loose tile that might trip people up, or hurled at enemies… For some adventurers like sappers, every aspect of their environment is something to be taken advantage of....

I like these ideas - I tend not to include such details in my initial descriptions of the environment as it can stifle the other players' creativity and make the introductory spiel too lengthy. I would, however, encourage all adventurers, not just specific professions, to make use of their environment and even to invent details that will work with their narrative. In your example of the roots growing through the ceiling, maybe the sorcerer uses tangleroots to make them grow so they're more accessible and useful to whatever plan the party has in the scene, too.

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 pm 
10th Rank
10th Rank

Originally thinking of the Assassin. Should be reasonable for a player to enquire or even suggest features that would normally be present, since it would allow them Assassins to do amazing stuff like swing on chandeliers, ascend walls and conceal themselves. Might be cumbersome for a GM to point out every little feature, but I don't see why an Assassin can't ask whether there is something to conceal oneself behind, underneath or even shadows to hide within.

My ideas of terrain rules include the possibility of an Assassin disappearing in the middle of combat, say getting lost in vegetation, side stepping behind a tree and then ascending.

Even 2ft of water might be enough to conceal an Assassin. Might be cumbersome to interpret during combat, but it can be fluid if the GM makes all the decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Looks good.

If you do any Dragon Warriors stuff for Fantasy Grounds or need help with doing module/data entry let me know.
I've been recovering from an injured hand and doing the entry is like physical therapy, plus I did some Dragon Warriors entry stuff before for the More Core Ruleset.