It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Revised Weapon Stats
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:53 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
A battle axe is an axe specifically designed for combat. Battle axes were specialized versions of utility axes. Many were suitable for use in one hand, while others were larger and were deployed two-handed.

I was thinking a smaller, one-handed axe, but not as small as a handaxe.

Quote:
Would this diminish the Knight's Main Gauche special ability? I did think of extending this to high-Rank Barbarians (in another thread).

I have an Assassin (the game I'm running is now well underway :D ) who wants to dual wield - perhaps a dagger and a shortsword combined with the Armour Piercing ability would fit well with the Assassin style of combat.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:55 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
Quote:
Greataxe* (d10, 6)
Halberd* CHOP/STAB/HOOK (d6/d8/d6+1, 5/4/3)

Perhaps d6+1 or d8+1 for Greataxe and (d8/d10/d3) for halberd. (The hook is, as you said, for dismounting riders, but his is just to see if it does significant damage.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:42 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
I have an Assassin (the game I'm running is now well underway :D ) who wants to dual wield...

That'll be between you and your GM, then.
Personally, I think Assassins have enough of an edge already without giving them more (although I agree that two weapon fighting seems somehow appropriate).

Quote:
Perhaps d6+1 or d8+1 for Greataxe

Which puts it back towards (d8, 6), the scores for a battle-axe. I'm not sure the game needs a "great axe"... Note that the Players Guide includes a pole axe (d12, 4). I don't like the scores given for the extra weapons in the Players Guide and so don't use them - but that's just me. They're there to be used if they suit your game.

Quote:
(d8/d10/d3) for halberd. (The hook is, as you said, for dismounting riders, but his is just to see if it does significant damage.

I'd say the "chop" of the halberd would give more penetration and damage than the "stab" BUT it would depend how you use it. The French used halberds with the "grand tour de bras" - basically swinging it like a very long axe. This gives great impact, but requires a lot of space (possibly 2.5m for a character to do this). Used as a spear, the halberd would only need 1m space (but then couldn't "chop").

So you'd get:
chopping (d10, 5) - stats as in the game, need 2m minimum space.
stabbing (d8, 4) - similar to a spear, but not as penetrating. The weight of the head prevents it being used properly as a spear.
hook (d3, 2) - I'm suggesting dropping the ABP and damage a little as it wouldn't have the same stabbing motion (and strength) you'd get with a dagger; nor would the hook penetrate as deeply as a dagger (thus less damage).

Pole-arms are quite versatile. It all depends how complicated you want your game to get. I tend to say halberds (and similar) are d10, 5 weapons and leave it at that...