Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Assassin
Narmox here, been a DW player for most of my life. 35 now, from Canada. Now living in Japan, and my RPG group occasionally plays DW.

First discovered it at the local library, in French, among the other French Fighting Fantasy and The Dark Eye and other gamebooks. It was incomplete but I was on a quest to find the books, which I'm glad I did before they stopped printing in the late 80s. Been hooked ever since.

Last year I introduced the game to a group of RPG players here, and we play mini campaigns every couple of months, and other games in between so that things stay fresh and fun. We're playing it both because the world of Legend is awesome, well-detailed (and even more so with work from everyone who contributed to the new edition as well as various websites with extra details, can't wait to dive in Shaun's Rathurborsk or Ongus!), but also for that 80s RPG feel, which is a big contrast to Fate, Shadowrun 5th edition, and other games we play.

Looking forward to what this forum can bring forth. I still have my old DW (or rather, Les Terres de Légende) site hanging around on the internet, though it hasn't been updated in soooo long.

Narmox.

EDIT: Added age, origin and location.

Last edited by narmox on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:50 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Elementalist
Hello all,
I'm Dan, and played DW with the original paperbacks as a teenager way back in the mid-late 1980s (always the GM; never a PC). I haven't played an RPG session since then (although I've always kept up with DW), but have just agreed to run an old-school-style Red Box D&D one-shot session for a group of friends (most of whom are semi-regular roleplayers with other groups). I'm then going to see if I can manoeuver them gradually over to DW...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Elementalist
Well...I just came across this introduction thread having already said "Hello" on a new post I opened here - http://forum.libraryofhiabuor.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88

Anyway...I live in the UK and started playing DW somewhere in the late 1980's!

DW offered just the right amount of rules and stats to prevent a character becoming a spreadsheet (as with some other well known systems perhaps) and have great memories of playing DW, primarily as a DM, and creating adventures!

A good friend of mine, who played DW with me, and I keep telling ourselves we will return to our game world one day and pick up where we left off and "get the band back together" for a reunion tour!

One day... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Barbarian
So far the guys who have mentioned their ages and locations have all been 41 or so and Australian.

I'm another who fits that exactly.

Picked up DW Book One in a bookstore in the Melbourne CBD in 1985, and I remember purchasing later volumes from Minotaur Books when it was still on Swanston Street.

Been a lot of water under the bridge since then, but I've still got my Dragon Warriors books.

My username comes from the very first character I rolled up the night I purchased the first book. I was pretty chuffed that Thorak the Barbarian had a mighty Strength of 14.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:41 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Charcoal-Burner
Well, almost like an early 40s support group... Only kidding.

Also 41, in the Central NI, NZ; again, played in the mid-80s, as these were the only RPG books in the only bookstore in a small town in the South Island. We were looking for something to move on from Fighting Fantasy, as we didn't like it, and we loved the simplicity and depth, and also the mystery elements of DW.

Moved on to Rolemaster and Battletech, along with a few other misc games, but managed to find all the books again and played a few games about five years ago. That group have moved on and I'm mostly following this for entertainment and the odd one off game I run very occasionally.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

Profession: Knave
Guilty as charged. 41, live in Melbourne. Been playing RPGs since the 80s, never really played DW much back then but always loved the atmosphere of Legend. Played D&D, then moved to Chaosium's Elric! when my gaming group got sick of the ridiculousness of D&D. The Elric! d100 system made much more sense and was nice and simple compared to D&D. Also played a bit of Cthulhu and Shadowrun over the years. Have since moved to Basic Roleplaying and started running a BRP game in Legend. Actually switched to DW rules recently as despite having lots of things that I don't like (levels, fixed spells, no skills, etc.) it is very very easy to run and since my group only plays once a month and i'm time starved with work and two young kids I need all the simplicity and ready run scenarios I can get!

Cheers,
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 am 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

I picked up DW as it was in the bookshop and I was probably looking for Fighting Fantasy. That marketing strategy definitely worked, didn't it! Probably meant that a lot of us DW players aren't the typical D&D players. I was one of the odd ones out that played almost every RPG that was out in the 1980s, but very little D&D. Rolemaster, Stormbringer, RuneQuest, Traveller, Champions, and many more obscure ones (including DW) but never caught the D&D bug.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:11 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Thorak wrote:
So far the guys who have mentioned their ages and locations have all been 41 or so and Australian.

Fine fine let me break the streak, since I didn't mention it in my (re)intro:

Canadian, 35. Living in Japan though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 pm 
2nd Rank
2nd Rank

narmox wrote:
Thorak wrote:

Indeed! Hope you don't feel like the odd one out too much :-)
I spent a few years in Japan myself, miss the place, especially this time of year!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:29 am 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Thorak wrote:
narmox wrote:
Thorak wrote:

Indeed! Hope you don't feel like the odd one out too much :-)
I spent a few years in Japan myself, miss the place, especially this time of year!

It's been quite cold, and the sakura are all gone already, at least in my part of Tokyo... They lasted only a week!

Not feeling the odd one out at all! In fact, my group happily embraced DW (among other systems we alternate between), and we love the 80-ishness of it as a contrast to the other more modern systems we play with. And of course Legend is an awesome creation and part of why DW is so great.

Narmox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next