A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ferromaine Material?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
I've got a group of players whose current* destination is Ferromaine, in the Ferromaine League.
* As a way-point to the Crusades. I've got them delayed on the border between Chaubrette and Algandy at the moment, so I have some time...

I have read the material in DW Book 6, along with the extra material provided on the Wiki (Ferromaine League and Legends of Ferromaine) and the couple of relevant entries in "Friends or Foes"... But I could do with a little more detail. I will probably end up drafting something up myself but, with real life restricting my available spare time, I was wondering if anyone here has, or knows of, further material that details the city of Ferromaine and its environs?* Is there a plan or map (even just a draft)? A list of the major families (Vassilvio, Sentapolo, Senfriti, Cotulio)? Currency (I can only find reference to Matapans - i.e. Florins - but what is the equivalent for Pennies and Crowns)? &c., &c...
* That they would be willing to share, of course!

Many thanks! :D
(No worries if there is nothing else - I'll get to work on my own version. I'm just trying to save a bit of time and effort...) ;)

Post subject: Re: Ferromaine Material?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
Starkad wrote:
I've got a group of players whose current* destination is Ferromaine, in the Ferromaine League.
* As a way-point to the Crusades. I've got them delayed on the border between Chaubrette and Algandy at the moment, so I have some time...

I have read the material in DW Book 6, along with the extra material provided on the Wiki (Ferromaine League and Legends of Ferromaine) and the couple of relevant entries in "Friends or Foes"... But I could do with a little more detail. I will probably end up drafting something up myself but, with real life restricting my available spare time, I was wondering if anyone here has, or knows of, further material that details the city of Ferromaine and its environs?* Is there a plan or map (even just a draft)? A list of the major families (Vassilvio, Sentapolo, Senfriti, Cotulio)? Currency (I can only find reference to Matapans - i.e. Florins - but what is the equivalent for Pennies and Crowns)? &c., &c...
* That they would be willing to share, of course!

Many thanks! :D
(No worries if there is nothing else - I'll get to work on my own version. I'm just trying to save a bit of time and effort...) ;)

I seem to remember some scenes in the Chronicles of the Magi trilogy set in Ferromaine, which might have included additional background - it's been some time since I read them... I think you can still buy them as ebooks from Amazon (links to all three Chronicles from my site: http://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/home/DWbloodsword.php).

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Hunter
I've been running a PbP in Ferromaine for a couple of years now on rpg.net , there might be stuff there to steal if you want.

Re. resources. I've just used the ones you have ( and a couple of scant mentions in newer books) and a whole bunch of historical reference works on Venice...seems to be working.

co-author Cold Fury
co-author Cadaver Draconis
co-author Ordo Draconis 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:09 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I seem to remember some scenes in the Chronicles of the Magi trilogy set in Ferromaine

Thanks. I've been wondering whether those books were simply a write-up of the Bloodsword books with no extra material? That's what's held me up from acquiring them.
(I don't remember Bloodsword ever dealing with Ferromaine; I'll have another look.)

Quote:
I've just used the ones you have ( and a couple of scant mentions in newer books) and a whole bunch of historical reference works on Venice...seems to be working.

I suspect that's what I'll end up doing too.
I will no doubt have a quick look at your PbP game too... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Starkad wrote:
Quote:
I seem to remember some scenes in the Chronicles of the Magi trilogy set in Ferromaine

Thanks. I've been wondering whether those books were simply a write-up of the Bloodsword books with no extra material? That's what's held me up from acquiring them.
(I don't remember Bloodsword ever dealing with Ferromaine; I'll have another look.)

Quote:
I've just used the ones you have ( and a couple of scant mentions in newer books) and a whole bunch of historical reference works on Venice...seems to be working.

I suspect that's what I'll end up doing too.
I will no doubt have a quick look at your PbP game too... ;)

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?75 ... =ferromani

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?78 ... -Chapter-2)

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?75 ... =ferromani

co-author Cold Fury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I strongly recommend reading A History of Venice by John Juliius Norwich (particularly chapters 4-8) if you want an engaging and informative source on the "real life" Ferromaine.

Cheers,

-Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I strongly recommend reading A History of Venice by John Juliius Norwich

Thanks for the tip. I've read his books on Byzantium and thought they were excellent. I'll definitely read this.

Thanks also for the links, Damian (saves me searching). :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Quote:
I strongly recommend reading A History of Venice by John Juliius Norwich

Thanks for the tip. I've read his books on Byzantium and thought they were excellent. I'll definitely read this.

Book acquired and now part-read. While appreciating that Ferromaine is clearly based on Venice, it's also interesting to see in what ways it would differ. Venice appears to have benefited not just from its lagoon as a defence, but also being relatively far removed from the centre of both the Western and Eastern (Byzantine) Empires. Similarities include a position at the "top end" of the sea (Adriatic for Venice, Coradian for Ferromaine)...
...But I have to wonder whether the New Selentine Empire or Kurland, both powerful neighbours, would tolerate the same level of independence as Venice had? Perhaps the Doge of Ferromaine has to walk an even more precarious tightrope than his real world counterpart in playing those powers off against each other; to ensure his maritime trading city retains a level of independence? Hmm...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:56 pm 
9th Rank
9th Rank

Profession: Knight
Thread resurrection – wouldn't Ferromaine be a nice place to compile..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

SimonB wrote:
Thread resurrection – wouldn't Ferromaine be a nice place to compile..

It would. I might tap one of my players to gather up all the info from my Ferromaine campaign.....

Give a google doc to throw it at!

Someone else here had a Ferromaine campaign as well, between us we might have a bunch of stuff covered.

co-author Cold Fury