Dragon Warriors

A discussion forum for the Dragon Warriors RPG and related works
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:04 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
The Abenteur website for the magazine had a blog and the author had a map of the bridge you could download from it. The link to it is dead and wayback doesn't have it archived, but I downloaded it a few years back. I've attached it , a smaller version, and a smaller image he had posted highlighting one area that was on the blog.

If there is a problem with posting this stuff let me know.

Attachments:
File comment: Map of Bridge Small Version
rathurbosk_sm.png
rathurbosk_sm.png [ 115.25 KiB | Viewed 8048 times ]
File comment: Highlight of area of bridge
rathurbosk_flynt.png
rathurbosk_flynt.png [ 20.4 KiB | Viewed 8048 times ]
File comment: Map of Bridge Large Version
rathurbosk.png
rathurbosk.png [ 394.95 KiB | Viewed 8048 times ]

Last edited by Jay_NOLA on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 pm 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
The Abenteur a blog and the author had a map of the bridge you could download from it.

Thanks for posting that! Like you, I downloaded it a while ago, but it was from a random Internet search and I never knew where the picture came from; now I know! :D

I quite like the plan except...
"Particularly remarkable is the central tower, supported by flying buttresses, which houses a time-keeping device."
(DW 6, pg. 23)

I'm struggling to see that on the plan. You'd think it would be a significant structure... :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Starkad wrote:
Quote:
The Abenteur a blog and the author had a map of the bridge you could download from it.

Thanks for posting that! Like you, I downloaded it a while ago, but it was from a random Internet search and I never knew where the picture came from; now I know! :D

I quite like the plan except...
"Particularly remarkable is the central tower, supported by flying buttresses, which houses a time-keeping device."
(DW 6, pg. 23)

I'm struggling to see that on the plan. You'd think it would be a significant structure... :?

I don't see it either.The bridge map that Dreadnought did that is based on Dirk Remmecke's map from Abenteuer has it.

If I remember from the translation of the German blog from years ago Remmeche said he wanted to make a Dyson Logos like map and that it would need some fixes from some of the comments he replied too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:32 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Starkad wrote:
Note, however, that the description in DW Book 6, page 24, says...

Well, I can't guarantee my translation is perfectly accurate, nor do I really know how many liberties Dirk Remmecke was comfortable taking with the source material to suit his own vision of the place. I wouldn't consider it canon any more than the Library of Hiabuor's own take on The Rathurbosk (http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/rathurboskintro.html) - both worthy sources for anyone planning to set an adventure (or a campaign) there but the only authentic Rathurbosk comes from the source material in the core books, so go with that if there's a discrepancy.

It's certainly an inspiring enough icon to deserve its own sourcebook, tho - any takers?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
I did a CC3 version of the map (with Dirk's kind permission) and keyed it to locations I use in my own Rathurbosk adventures (I've run a few over the years)

http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/rathurboskmapkey.html

I also have some of my own notes (for again my own game) online at http://www.libraryofhiabuor.net/rathurboskintro.html

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Profession: Knight
In my own game, Knights (by which I mean, people who can be identified formally as Knights) are allowed to retain their sword if they pay a bond of 100 Silver to do so (if they pay in Gold Coin, they get a 10% discount).

Others may be given a similar privilege at the discretion of the Officer in charge of the gate - if he judges that they seem trustworthy. He can also deny the privilege to a Knight, but he'd better be willing to explain himself later.

Weapons are transferred between gates once in every guard shift, but somebody who requires a weapon to be faster can pay 10 Silver (again with a discount for Gold Coin) with for the privilege, in which case, the weapons will be moved as soon as practical - normally immediately, but if the junior guardsman who gets this job is already on an errand, it may have to wait a while).

Weapons are transported through a hidden tunnel - people have worked out this happens, but the details are decidedly not public knowledge.

Theft of such a weapon in transit or even loss of such a weapon by the guards transferring it (without very good explanation) is treated as an extremely serious crime - the perpetrator will be broken on the wheel in the most painful (and humiliating for those who care) fashion. Keeping the city free of unauthorised weapons is taken very seriously, and if those who hand them over cannot trust they will be returned, there will be a lot more attempts by people to conceal them (which, incidentally, can also be punished by breaking on the wheel - especially if the weapon is used without good reason (somebody who drew the shortsword they smuggled to defend themself against an assailant might only lose the sword - because, again, in such a case the city failed in its duty - somebody who used that sword after drawing first in a drunken brawl is better off jumping off the bridge and taking their (slim) chances they survive the fall and the water.

Shaun Hately
co-author A Weak Pleasure
co-author Friends or Foes
co-author Dragon Warriors Players Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:19 am 
7th Rank
7th Rank

Profession: Priest
Quote:
In my own game, Knights (by which I mean, people who can be identified formally as Knights) are allowed to retain their sword...

All that makes good sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:24 pm 
1st Rank
1st Rank

Would the city do something to peace bond the weapon if they let someone keep it? Basically makes it difficult to draw or slows down drawing time a lot.

Also, I saw in old blog post that Dave had on the Fabled Lands site that the rules for Warlocks got tested in Rathurbosk. So I wonder if they city has more magic using characters than other locations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:56 am 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Some kind of Peace Bond spell seems reasonable (and pretty cool actually), maybe slowing down time right at the end of a swing to reduce or nullify damage rather than slow down the drawing of a weapon so it could still be used defensively perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:08 pm 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Acoma wrote:
Some kind of Peace Bond spell seems reasonable (and pretty cool actually), maybe slowing down time right at the end of a swing to reduce or nullify damage rather than slow down the drawing of a weapon so it could still be used defensively perhaps?

But who would cast it (and how many times before they stopped allowing people through the gate)? How long would it last? How easy is it to be dispelled? Magic doesn't feel like the right answer to this problem. If the problem is to prevent people from using their weapons offensively during their time in Rathurbosk, it's easier just to take their weapons off them at the gate than to ensorcel their blades on entry. Whilst the Dragon Warriors mechanics may make it seem so, the flavour of Legend with which I play is for magic to be something other than a science that works predictably and, even if it did, magic-wielding guards would probably be better employed tackling some of the more intractable problems of the Rathurbosk over which mundane methods have yet to prevail. Legend, even in a relatively high-magic region like Krarth or Rathurbosk, still has a long way to go until it's the high-magic realm of Faerun, where magic has widespread utilitarian applications. And how would visitors to the city feel about having their weapons tainted by sorcery? If their weapon "failed" them in combat after they left Rathurbosk, some would inevitably blame the Rathubosk enchantment for every misfortune that befell them thereafter.

I do, however, like the idea of a warlock spell that could be used as you've suggested. But would it target the weapon (as per, for example, the Bedevil spell) or the wielder (as per, for example, the Weaken spell)? And which warlock spell might it replace in his roster?

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!