It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Warrior Monk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:12 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Knight
Hi All,

Here is a labour of love I've been working on for the past few weeks.

I welcome your feedback.

Thanks

Updated 14/3/20

Attachments:
Warrior Monk V2.2.pdf [1.28 MiB]
Downloaded 378 times

Last edited by rumtap on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Warrior Monk
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Cool. I have a few queries or concerns with the following abilities though.

Chi Meditation
By 4th rank a Monk can restore 100% health in 1 hour, even if they rolled max health at character creation. So from 1hp (worst case) to 15 hp.

I'd say linking amount restored to Rank ramps up too fast and makes this an extremely powerful ability.

Iron Body Technique
How does this combine with regular armour? If the monk has a base AF of 2, and is also wearing AF3, does an opponent simply need to bypass the highest value, or do they need to make two AB rolls?

Martial Arts
I'd be cautious about the large defence increases, especially as this character type is likely to already have a bonus or two from a high reflexes score. A bonus of +6 is the equivalent of the Monk being 12 ranks higher than usual!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:11 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

wimlach wrote:
Cool. I have a few queries or concerns with the following abilities though.

Chi Meditation
By 4th rank a Monk can restore 100% health in 1 hour, even if they rolled max health at character creation. So from 1hp (worst case) to 15 hp.

I'd say linking amount restored to Rank ramps up too fast and makes this an extremely powerful ability.

Iron Body Technique
How does this combine with regular armour? If the monk has a base AF of 2, and is also wearing AF3, does an opponent simply need to bypass the highest value, or do they need to make two AB rolls?

Martial Arts
I'd be cautious about the large defence increases, especially as this character type is likely to already have a bonus or two from a high reflexes score. A bonus of +6 is the equivalent of the Monk being 12 ranks higher than usual!

Thank you for the feedback.

Chi Mediitation
Yes you're spot on here. I've been playing a different system lately and forgot that health points are a lot lower in Dragon Warriors. I've adjusted it to a fixed benefit of 4 HP with the option to choose it a second time to heal 7hp and 3rd time for 9hp.

Iron Body Technique
Can only be used when not wearing armour. I've edited the description to make this clearer.

Martial Arts
The defence bonus increase is intentional, it is balanced by the Monk only getting a defence increase every second rank. The idea is that if they want to give up the extra attack to focus on defence they can defend as well as a knight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:28 pm 
5th Rank
5th Rank

Profession: Sorcerer
I've only given the actual numbers themselves a cursory glance so I don't have much on balancing, but thematically I really like it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Acoma wrote:
I've only given the actual numbers themselves a cursory glance so I don't have much on balancing, but thematically I really like it

Thanks. I really wanted to get the theme and feel right. I have a couple of minor tweaks to make for balance but I'm pretty happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:36 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

I've posted an updated version.

Changes include:
Reformatted to Dragon Warriors style.
Added images.
Lowered start Defence to 5 for better balance with Martial Arts skill.
Removed d10 weapons as a monk weapon choice, again for better balance with the Martial Arts skill.
Added some example eastern weapons.
Other minor wording changes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:52 pm 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Profession: Hunter
Just realised. the following rule, taken from my own "Kenshi" profession, might be worth incorporating or considering. Though if you allow Kenshi in your game it may be best to keep it as a special ability of this profession only.

Agile Defence
The Kenshi may set aside a number of points of defence equal or less than his rank to be applied against all attacking opponents, and may split the remainder normally against any number of opponents regardless of numbers or facing.

Agile defence can only be used when wearing light armour (normal AF or 3 or less).

Example:

A 5th rank kenshi has a defence score of 11. He is surrounded by six bandits. He takes 5 points of his defence and applies it to each of the attacking bandits. With his 6 remaining points of defence he splits it normally, with 1 additional point to each bandit, for a grand total of 6 defence against each individual bandit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:23 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

wimlach wrote:
Just realised. the following rule, taken from my own "Kenshi" profession, might be worth incorporating or considering. Though if you allow Kenshi in your game it may be best to keep it as a special ability of this profession only.

Agile Defence
The Kenshi may set aside a number of points of defence equal or less than his rank to be applied against all attacking opponents, and may split the remainder normally against any number of opponents regardless of numbers or facing.

Agile defence can only be used when wearing light armour (normal AF or 3 or less).

Example:

A 5th rank kenshi has a defence score of 11. He is surrounded by six bandits. He takes 5 points of his defence and applies it to each of the attacking bandits. With his 6 remaining points of defence he splits it normally, with 1 additional point to each bandit, for a grand total of 6 defence against each individual bandit.

That's a nice ability very thematic. I'd be worried that it may be too strong combined with the defence bonus from martial arts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:56 am 
Admin/Moderator
Admin/Moderator

Profession: Sorcerer
I like it - I am unlikely ever to run an eastern campaign and I'm not really a fan of running out-of-context characters with the whole "trained by a wandering [xxx]" backstory so can't imagine ever playing a Warrior Monk character in my campaign, but I like that it's got a nice balance of combat and adventuring skills and doesn't feel too overpowered.

Were I to use it, though, I'd tone down the healing (like I have for all professions - gone are all the healing spells, for example!) - 4 HP per day is a huge amount of healing, so I'd just allow 1 HP per day. I like combat to be dangerous, with long-term consequences for those too inexperienced to avoid it.

Just a quick query about unarmed combat:

The Warrior Monk gets unarmed combat, as per the Assassin, so can attack unarmed as a (d6,3) weapon. Martial Arts mean the Warrior Monk can attack twice per combat round, once with their monk weapon and once unarmed (at a cost of the Warrior Monk's Defence). Finally, at first rank, the Warrior Monk will only have one monk weapon (either "unarmed" or something else) and any other weapon suffers a -2 to Attack in combat.

So, if the Warrior Monk takes "unarmed" as their monk weapon at first rank, with martial arts, they attack twice at full attack as if with a (d6,3) weapon against a single target. If the Warrior Monk takes any other weapon as their monk weapon at first rank, with martial arts, they attack once with their monk weapon at full Attack, then again with unarmed combat at -2 Attack as a (d6,3) weapon, with both attacks at the same target. Have I understood correctly? If so, I'd just allow Warrior Monks to be proficient in unarmed combat as standard - otherwise, the game mechanics seem so heavily weighted towards the Warrior Monk being proficient in unarmed combat that why would any monk not take it? Especially when you consider that there are no comparable abilities that provide equivalent benefits to Celestial Palm and Iron Palm for armed combat. The extra armour bypass and damage doesn't seem worth the -2 Attack to the second attack. Better to have the -2 Attack using a weapon with the higher armour bypass, just on the odd occasion the Warrior Monk needs to fight a heavily armoured opponent (although why the Warrior Monk would engage an armoured opponent in combat would be the mystery there, not the game mechanics!)

https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/
https://www.dragonwarriors.uk/
https://twitter.com/CobwebbedDragon
Now on YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:19 am 
4th Rank
4th Rank

Thanks Lee.

I was worried the healing was a bit strong, I think I'll adjust it a little.

The warrior monk doesn't select a single weapon but can use any weapon on the list without penalty, including unarmed combat.

Do I need to edit it to be clearer?